use a glass cutter score the bit u want to "break" and then using the ball on the end of the cutter tap the under side of the bit of bracing it will fracture the glass along the line u cut and as for the lid just cut it on a 45 degree angle

im assuming u have gone and bought a cheap glass cutter from bunnings or the like called a red devil

Well I do have a 6 wheel glass cutter but I was wanting to cut a lid thats 6mm glass, I ended up using the grinder with the blade and cut very slowly. I then used a different type of fiber disc to round all the edges as I wanted to cut small squares out of the lid. It worked without a hitch.

you can also use a belt sander to dull the edges and if you use a fine enough grade paper you can polish the edge aswell without using water on the machine.

Although it is advised that if your going out to buy a belt sander to do this just buy a cheapy as the glass particles will evenually shag the bearings.

I will get some pics of what the flap disc I got and what it does to a glass edge. it will round it over without trying!

i use the flap discs quite regulary to linish glass edges and they work a treat. i have the tile cutter discs aswell (from when i tiled the loungeroom) but never tried them on glass. glad it all worked out for you in the end. some pics of the finished cuts ?

Hey Jeff, I use my glass cutter to make curves instead of a 45* cut, it takes a little bit more to break out but u can essentially get a square cut out but wit a nice curved inside corner ;) I use an 80grit Flap Disc or my 120grit linishall belt to smooth edges all the time. You just have to be confident and careful when doin it :)