chels1289

Tankmates for electric blue jack dempsey?

Hi all!

I have one Electric Blue Jack Dempsey in a 3 foot tank (160lt) and I'm looking for some tank mates for him.

I've had him in with 4 other ebjds but sold them off one by one over the last few months and ended up keeping the biggest most aggressive (and pretty) one. He is nearly 10cm now. He is also in with 2 clown loaches who are a tiny bit bigger than him. They get on very very well.

I know my Africans but I'm only new to Americans and not sure what I'm looking for- so hopefully someone can help me out here

I guess I'm looking to get maybe 6-8 small fish that are quick, hardy, school, swim around the middle/top, and big enough that the ebjd won't eat them.

I want the ebjd to be my feature fish. I just want these to add some movement in the tank as the loaches are only out half the time.

Bright colours are good - the orange of the loaches look so good against the blue of the ebjd.

Suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!

http://www.qldaf.com/vbb/showthread.php?33968-My-Beautiful-Electric-Blue-Jack-Dempseys-%29&p=199609#post199609

Thats got one new pic Sarah :)

I haven't had much time to take many but you can see how his fins have changed and he's a little lighter now - losing some of his black spots.

I've noticed he gets a lot darker when he's eating - must be happy :) haha.

I'll try and get some more for you soon.

Do you have any good ones of your special bubs you kept? x

A pair or trio of some sort of Geophagus, they always look awesome sifting through the substrate. Not too aggressive either. I'd go with Brasiliensis.

I do love geos - but I think they would grow too big wouldn't they?

I'm only looking for something that grows to about 5cm..

hey chels fantastic to see him growing up. ive only got one little male left who was the pick of the spawn. hes coming along nicely but his colours

look drab as he is still in a barebottom white tank. when i put him into something a little nicer I will take some pics :)

Are you going to be getting a bigger tank in the future? The JD will need 200 ltrs at least to stay nice and healthy, specially if you are goin to put a few friends in there to. I have a 3 to 3.5 inch EB that i got off Sarah too, Im goin to put him in a 3 x2 x 2, with a Pictus cat, couple of BN's to keep it clean and probably just a few of angel's to fill the gaps and look pretty.

Thanks Sarah :) Yeah I've been suggested Rainbows - so they are on the cards.

DVS969: My plan hopefully in the next year is a 5 foot but it depends on where I'm living. I'm only looking to add a couple of fish that will grow to about 5cm...

What about Bolivian Rams?? I don't know much about them but they are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for size and colour-wise.

I do just not on my work computer, They are not that good as i am the worst photographer on earth. Ill post em up when i get home tonight, He is in a light coloured tank also so he isn't as blue as chels's but only a week or so before he has his own tank, be goin black background and black sand, can't wait.

I agree with Damo too, I reckon some nice lemon tetra's would look good with an EB.

Yess :)

I'd like some tiger barbs but I've read they can be nippy especially with fish with longer fins (like ebjd)

I might go and look at some larger tetras on the weekend and see whats around.

I still would really like some bolivian rams... or boseman rainbows...

But I'm looking to get about 6 so dunno if that will work.

DVS, you are gonna be soo happy once you get him in that tank :)

Hey Chels,

I found tiger barbs did very well in my 8x2x2 with assorted american cichlids (until eventually my big female jag ate them one by one over consecutive nights)... mind you, this took several months when the jag grew big enough... You can avoid the nippy behaviour of the barbs by keeping them in a school of at least 5 or 6 individuals minimum. They have the occasional bit of biff between one another, but keeping them in a larger group will usually eliminate the tendency to nip the fins of other fish. The added bonus of keeping more is that they actually love to school and are a very fast moving group that certainly provide action to your display.

Another choice you could try is the Giant Danio (Devario aequipinnatus). I've read a lot of articles about keepers of American Cichlids successfully using these as dither fish (to encourage shy fish out of hiding).

Good luck,

Welll I put in a couple of Rainbows on the weekend, one was pretty much the size of him.

And for the first few minutes he hid and spied on them.

Then he came out and started swimming with them.

And then he started biting them and bashing against them. Haha.

The other thing Jason from Blue Zoo suggested was Rosy Barbs or Tiger Barbs...

I'm still tossing up whether to give it another go with smaller fish...

Really not sure....