Chris G

Tips on catching my cichlids

I have tried to catch them to try and sex them and am finding it flippin impossible. I am stripping down the whole tank this weekend and rescaping it as i got new rocks and driftwood last weekend :).

So if anyone has any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi mate,

I had to catch several extremely fast swimming native grunters out of my 8x2x2 tank yesterday. After a lot of difficulty, I went with the common sense approach and removed the giant log out of the tank, then I used two spare sheets of clear perspex (almost identical size as front to back of tank) to make smaller compartments out of my tank. I then carefully netted the fish from the "prison cell" I had created.

Good luck, it is certainly a challenge to catch fast fish.

The one common mistake that many make is speed.

I agree whole heartedly with the trap type theory, but even then just move slowly. If you thrash around the tank with the net all you do is stress the fish and frustrate yourself - move slowly with the net, use one in each hand to herd the fish and use the corners to push them into the nets - TAKE YOUR TIME - 30 seconds extra is better than them losing an eye, and stressin out big time.

good luck

The one common mistake that many make is speed.

move slowly with the net, use one in each hand to herd the fish and use the corners to push them into the nets - TAKE YOUR TIME -

good luck

Totally agree with these sentiments... I forgot to mention in my earlier post just how long this process took. When it came to positioning the net for the cornering manoeuvre, I was moving so slowly I must have closely resembled a chameleon sitting motionless on a twig about to splat a bug with its prehensile tongue!!!

yep the only way i catch fish these days in large tanks is to let them go to sleep turn the lite of for an hour so it is totaly dark and they will be pushing out zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz then catch them

u should have 3-4 min before they wake up

this is the best easyiest and stressfree way that i have found and u dont have to strip the tank

yep the only way i catch fish these days in large tanks is to let them go to sleep turn the lite of for an hour so it is totaly dark and they will be pushing out zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz then catch them

u should have 3-4 min before they wake up

this is the best easyiest and stressfree way that i have found and u dont have to strip the tank

Agreed catch them while they are asleep and the bigger the net the better !!

Dave