Does anyone have knowledge of how the commercial fish operators breed their stock?

Do they simply keep each species in a concrete vat and just let the fish inbreed like crazy, only removing the saleable sized fish? Or do they do it properly and keep breeding colonies separate from their offspring?

I read in Ad Konings book on Malawi cichlids regarding inbreeding fish, by the 4th generation mutations and defects start to show.

Reason I ask is some shops have told me they usually get their livestock from wholesalers, which is fair enough – they’re a business. However I check their Electric Yellows, for example, and they’re a cream colour, a lemon colour at best.

The product of unchecked inbreeding? Surely this can't be good for the hobby.

ive always been told its about the 6 generation that the mutants usually start to appear. im also led to believe that most of the wholesalers get most of their fish from hobby breeders ,like you and me , with exception to the likes of goldfish ,tetras ,and others that are inported in to the country. i believe the farms do bred their goldies and others in troughts and pick out the fry , as explained ,so i guess there is a ppossibility of inbreeding. i guess. just my opion only. hth

There's a fish farm south of Wolfdene (south of Beenleigh) that have a pretty big setup. It's more for stocking dams and such (ie perch, barra, etc) but they also sell tropical fish to the public and they have a pretty big setup. I can't remember the name offhand (SEQLD Fish maybe?), but it was pretty interesting seeing what they have.

I'm sure they would just keep a breeding stock on hand, but I would imagine some induced spawning would be likely. I also imagine that they would keep records of bloodlines just to make sure that no mutations take place, but don't forget that not all mutations are deleterious to a species...if it was, we'd never have most of the domesticated plants and animals we have today (ie cows, pigs, corn, wheat, etc).

Along Lake Malawi there are apparently warehouses where wildcaught fish are held and bred. There are some forums that often discuss the controversey surrounding whether buyers of so called 'wildcaught' fish are technically getting wild caught fish or rather F1 OR F2 and so on from those African breeding/holding set-ups, even before the fish come to Oz or the US. :?::?:

And on the history of Electric Yellows, you will find that every electric yellow in existance came from a single breeding.

Line breeding has improved the colour over the years. So good brood stock should be selected. Accidental random breeding dosen't help.

Alan.

I figure that unless you are there catching them yourself or at least know the person who caught it, I don't think there's any real way of knowing for sure if you really have a genuine "wild caught" specimen. I'm sure there are numerous people out there (or even here ?) who have paid big bucks for a wild caught when it would probably be one of those F1 or F2 from those warehouses Peter mentioned..

just my 2 cents anyway...