Joep

Buffer for Americans

well i've tried some of that stuff from Tenessee but the whole tank just ended up in one big brawl.....

Thanks Cav & Barry, I would like to stay away from the Ketapang leaves a bit just to keep the water nice and clean but that might be my last resort yes

Anyone any experience with the Geo Liquid here?

Joep what type of American cichlids are you talking about? There is a wide range of water conditions found throughout South and Central America.

As an example, many people think that the Gold Saum cichlids are soft water fish becuase the are found in Peru in South America. But they come from the Pacific coast side of the Andes, and these rivers have a much higher PH and dissolved mineral content.

Hi Briztoon, (what happend to quoting peoples names in bold ?

Im talking about the central cichlids at the moment (jags, devils, cubans, parrots (nicaraguensis)

No angels or discus at the moment for me, maybe in a later, more advanced, stage

cheers

Edited by Joep
smilie dont work : (

In my experience, Central Americans do fine in tap water, dechlored of course. Mine are currently at 7.6 and never below 7.2 and all breeding. Like briztoon says, saums, contrary to popular opinion, do well with CA's.......they're the only SA I keep with my festaes, jags, dovii etc.

kev

Edited by bidkev

Geo ;iquid is a floctuant not a buffer it is designed to take particulates out of the water. Definately contact Graham lloyd-Jones. Even seachem make a great buffer for CA cichlids. Aqua pics have the amazon and kh 7.0 that will also do the trick but until they get a new Qld distributor will be hard to get here in Qld.

But by the sounds of it yours wasnt a buffering issue but more a quality issue which is why the geo liquid worked.

Geo ;iquid is a floctuant not a buffer it is designed to take particulates out of the water. Definately contact Graham lloyd-Jones. Even seachem make a great buffer for CA cichlids. Aqua pics have the amazon and kh 7.0 that will also do the trick but until they get a new Qld distributor will be hard to get here in Qld.

But by the sounds of it yours wasnt a buffering issue but more a quality issue which is why the geo liquid worked.

geo liquid is a floc bloc of sorts but its not its only claim to fame. the more pure water is the less "buffering" capability it has. while geo liquid does remove contaminants and smell, it also adds a mineral/trace element/salts component to the water hence it being a buffer aswell.

Edited by tuffy_rana

Thanks for your input guys!

And I have to agree with this one as I did a big waterchange just before i put the geo in

I am gathering you are trying to bring your ph down, the only true way to do that is to remove hardness, Softwater species like water with a low conductivity, any products or "buffers" as everyone calls it will raise your conductivity and you will be further from your goal, being happy fish that will want to breed. Altering Ph is probably the worst thing you can do for fish, stability is far more important. Instead of trying to alter the ph in your tank, try softening your water and your ph will follow. I used to chase the dragon trying to change ph, but since learning how water hardness works in relation to ph I have made my fishkeeping so much easier on myself, my fish and my hip pocket.

HTH Rex