I have some albino baby b/n ranging from 1-2.5cm. I have noticed in the last couple days there has been a few starting to drop off. The other thing I am noticing is that some are almost white while others the same size are the yellowish colour. does this happen normally?

I have just done a parameter test on the tank and my results are as follows:

ph: bout 7-7.2

ammonia: 0

nitrates: 0

nitrites: 0

Tank is a 4x15x18, split in half with adults on one side and bubs on the other. Run on rain water only, last water change almost 2 weeks ago. 2213 external, 800lph internal, 1 sponge filter.

2 trios of albino breeders, 4 baby texas bout 3-4cm, prob 50-100 babies 1-3cm.

adults on bare bottom, bubs on 3mm black gravel. driftwood on both sides.

Diet is algae wafers, lettuce, pumpkin, zucchini, cucumber.

Hey Jeff,

Are you buffering up your water? my rain water has a ph of >6, yours is at 7-7.2 so if you are, wats the process you use? might be shocking the little guys?

Im also wit LilJohn as the albinos do have weaker DNA n you will loose a couple, how many deaths are we talking about?

Tim

Hey mate,

Some great advice in those posts mate, I too have had this happen to me and have found that the a good way to help albino's and most types of B/Ns is to add some calcium to your tank via some shells or add some calcium carb or crushed coral to your substrate as I have found this works for me and others i know who breed lots of B/N's of all types. I know that some people add a teaspoon of salt to a two 2ft tank or more but I like to use only a quarter a teaspoon and find this is great for there health and longevity.

Cheers

Johno

Hey mate,

I add the API salts that are also great for treating fish for health problems. When you start to add salts to a tank i find the best way is to do so gradual that it may seem silly. If I have a tank that is new and I need to add salts to it I do it with a water change and if for example the tank needed 1 teaspoon (4ft tank) I would add only 1/4 each second water change and then after the 4th time I then only add once every 6 -12 months as I have found that this works well. But for me the important things are calcium in the water, good flow, great filtration, salts, and good maintenance. I also do do feed any albinos anything with keratin in it like pumpkin, carrots and sweet potatoes as they can be susceptible to keritinitice which can inhibit breeding and also cause death.

But this is only a personal choice of mine to breed, keep and feed this way and there are many different ways and different results from different methods of breeding, keeping and feeding all types of fish and you just have to find what works for you and your fish.

Cheers

Johno

I noticed the nitrate too. Test your water before you waterchange- you should have a nitrate reading. I would avoid large water changes and peel your vege's before you put them in. You always lose some but pale abn can be a sign of internal parasites or a bacterial infection. Ive never used salt.

Wat type n How old is your test kit? Some of them do go out of date n give you false readings as you should get a nitrate reading. How long has the tank been running for? I'm still baffled at how you rain water has such a high ph? Your tank isn't mains water filled aswell is it?

As for the pale fry, are the adults True Albino (no skin pigment(pinkish/white colour n red eyes) or Yellow BN? My True albinos are all pale their whole lives wit no problem.

Also try leaving the fry wit the parents for a few weeks so they can eat their poo to start up their organ functions properly.

Edited by Merkinater