AquaAddiction

Heating efficiently and effectivly

Hi all, was just wonder what everyones opinions were as I don't think it is common knowledge.

(well I haven't actually read anything)

What is the most effective way to heat a system. Say I have a 300L tank with a 50L sump, do I place a heater in the sump that can heat around 300L or say more like 100L and will the smaller heater work effectivly enough.

Also same idea with say a 3 tier plus a sump. 3 tier with say 3 60L tanks and 1 30L sump, all running from 1 sump. Pump to top tank and siphons down to sump. To heat the 3 tanks is it best to run say 3 idividual heaters for around 50L volume or 1 200L in the sump? also what is the most efficient( power bill wise)???

Thanks.

i dont know how efficient it is but i usually put the heater in the top tank near the draining outlets so its heating the water in that tank as well as the tanks below it as the pump itself heats the water in the sump to a point , also insulating the tanks will help keep them warmer and help with the costs involved and lids on them makes a big difference too

Hi guys,

I have 2 systems.

The first has a 300w heater in a 4' sump. The water temperature is uniform throughout all 9 tanks and the sump. I keep a thermometer in the sump so I can monitor it. I think this method is really efficient. When I adjust the thermostat, each tank responds uniformly.

The second is different. The 4' sump doesn't have space for a heater. I tried putting a heater in a tank but the water flow wasn't uniform enough to circulate the warmed water throughout the system. I then put heaters in a couple of different tanks to see if there was any improvement. There still wasn't any water temp uniformity. My conclusion is that the best place for the heater depends on the water flow of the system. If it's uniform, the heater in the sump is ideal. If it isn't uniform, there are 2 options - put the heaters in tanks where they're most needed or re-plumb the sytem to make the water flow uniform. I am about to start re-plumbing this one.

Keeping lids on keeps temperature more stable and reduces condensation.

Thanks for the input guys. Just one thing i am unclear on is if the heater is in the sump because there is less amount of water to actually heat can you use a less wattage heater, or do you still need the same size heater if it was in the main tank?

Obviously the water is going to be traveling throught the sump alot quicker so does a larger heater heat the water quicker or will a smaller watt heater still work ok. If i was running a 250w heater in the main 4ft could i remove this and put say a 100w heater in the sump?? (depending on where the heater is located as in cichlid_acolyte post)

Thanks guys

Why don't you try both options? Trial and error is a sure teacher.

Using 1 heater is going to be cheaper than 2. The Jaeger 300w is well capable of heating in excess of 800litres.

With my tiered system, I had heaters in 2 tanks with fry and another in a 4' tank. The temperature got as high as 28 degrees C - obviously energy wasteful and too high a temp as well.