green ninja

is this over stocked

5x2x2 tank will be home to 1x jd, 1x gold saum, 1x cuban, 2x feather fin cats, 1x robertsoni. i know filtratrion will be key, currently running 1200l/h cannister filter. any advice will be much appriecated.

That sounds ok too me ( not an expert with yanks ) , as you said its all in your filtration , i like to always go 5 times with my filtration as a general rule but each to there own

Terry

I dont think that you are over stocked, I think that your filtration is well underpowered - as Terry has said 5 times flow is always a good starter - a 5x2x2 is roughly 550l off the top of my head, so your canister (even at full rating) will only circulate water 2.5 times at best.

May want to put a high flow internal in as well perhaps?

You dont have a large stocking rate so that will help with water quality, but the 5 times rule is still a good one overall.

cheers

Kadango

Filtration and Water changes are the key.

I have a 6 x 3 x 2.5 and I have more than double the amount of fish you are listing in my tank. I plan to thin them out soon but the point is, they are all very healthy and happy. I purposely overstock to reduce agression amongst the larger Americans. This isn't for everyone, but it works for me.

if u have money just get a bigger external.

if not buy a decent internal power filter like an OTTO PF-1200N ( 1200lph ) they cost 50bucks. or even an 800lph would be better then nothing and they are like $39

cheers,

Otto's are great internals, I don't own one myself but since my mate has bought one and I've seen how good they work and how reliable they are I know what i will be replacing mine with when they kick it. In a 5 x 2 x 2 I would go for the 2000 l/hr model for sure.

only prob is the sponge case clips get lose after a lot of use

but wrap a rubber band around the groove and they behave as new again.

X2 never thought of the rubber band tho! Genius! hahahahaha