micko

Oscar Tank. New set up.

Cheers mate, yeh 4 silver dollars, 3 oscars and two clown loaches. Used to have 4 rummy nose tetras and 2 silver tips also but since i couldn't catch them in the 4ft x 2ft tank (very quick buggers with lots of room) before the oscars went in i had to leave them. only recently the last silver tip went "missing" which is surprising since its been 3 months since they went in together.

Just had to replace the light today too....old one burnt out i think, the on off switch was jammed in the on position and it was red hot to touch. :(

just warning you mate, your tank is over stocked, get rid of 2 O's and u will be all good, sorry to nag, that is just what i've been told on many sites, 1 O per 55g + 25g for each extra O. The water quality will go bad fast, trust me, i have an O in a 55g and i have to do 50% water changes every week just to keep on top of nitrates =(

Also, forgot to add, when you have an 3 O's, two will pair off and the other will get picked on and maybe killed. =0

just warning you mate, your tank is over stocked, get rid of 2 O's and u will be all good, sorry to nag, that is just what i've been told on many sites, 1 O per 55g + 25g for each extra O. The water quality will go bad fast, trust me, i have an O in a 55g and i have to do 50% water changes every week just to keep on top of nitrates =(

Also, forgot to add, when you have an 3 O's, two will pair off and the other will get picked on and maybe killed. =0

cheers dude, yeah i originally started with four oscars so there was a better chance they would grow up well together from a young age and so i could possibly get one pair out of it. The three i have now are good (no big fights) but yeah i will trade one back to a shop when they get a bit bigger i think. At the end of the day they might all be female or male so they might not pair up at all.

I have the 4 by 2 tank but also have the sub tank so all up about 90gal ish so that helps with waste levels + purigen bag. (awesome investment) usually change about 20L a week and 25%

each 6 weeks are levels are great so far.

The other weird thing is the dollars do seem to eat the oscar waste - disgusting but it helps the tank iguess :confused:

Edited by micko