We have a tank with peacocks and bristle noses and it seems like the peacocks are gasping for air (not at the surface). Some of the girls and our male have stopped eating. They haven't lost any color and are still swimming around fine with fins up. The male does seem to be hiding more than usual and not chasing his girls. The BN seem to be unaffected.

We thought that it might have been ammonia levels but the test all came back nil (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). We had whitespot in two other tanks but have seen no spots in this tank. Could it be whitespot but just in their gills? We did trace back the whitespot but we don't believe it had any contact with this tank.

We tested the ph, gh, kh and the only difference to normal was the kh being down a bit.

Ph 7.8

GH 7 (125.3ppm)

KH 3 (53.7ppm) it's normally about 5-6

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Carl & Jenny

Just about to do the water change.

The tank it self is running 2 power filters with bubbles and a sponge filter so there is heaps of water movement so i don't think oxygen levels are a problem.

The temp is currently at 29oC. It's quite hot here and the heater is not on and there's no light or lids on.

Thanks

Carl & Jenny

Update on fish:

I found two girls hidden under rocks dead and my male went belly up at about lunch time. I did medicate the tank with Promethyasul, hoping maybe that would help. There is still some girls gasping.

I don't know much about fish gills but to me the male's gills seem inflamed and red, would that be normal?

Thanks

Jenny & Carl

Hi who-wer,

you have a case of ammonia posioning, i thought this was the case when you said inflammed red gills.

What has happened is the uneaten food combined with the waste from the fish, has turned from ammonium to ammonia which is deadly for your fish.

I would remove the fish immediately from the tank, and drain the tank.Clean out the filtration system and refill with new water, and "cycle" from a store to bring in new bacteria.I would check every day a your ph level and nitrate levels, and once you have introduced your fish back id do watyer changes everyday untill the readings look good and add sum stress aid to the fish to promote healing, also adding live plants to your tank will use sum of those nasty nitrates too.

An undergravel filter will help prevent this from happening again...

Hope this has been sum help.

Dave

If you are right about the water tests & they are accurate. There is plenty of airation, the gills are inflamed & red.

It is either 2 things, gill flukes have gone out of control, as fish are dying.

Or a poison has got into the water.

The later would be my bet, with the fish going down hill so fast. Poison could be anything from garden sprays outside that have drifted in, fly spray, heavy paint fumes etc. Do another 50% water change now, followed by one later.

If you have a clean tank, I would drain the peacock tank completely with a gravel vac & top back up with water from other tanks.

Frenchy :D