bjc90

Working out the rate flow

Hello all just wanting to know how to work out the return rate of flow for the return drain holes in your tank to the sump. Just wanting to know what size pump to put in the sump.

Cheers

This might help out from an earlier thread on here.

Have a look at this calculator:

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

I've just set up my 4x18x20 on a sump and i used 2x 1" (25mm) drains. The calculator said 1x 1" was enough for my flow rate but i went with 2 so if one gets blocked the other can still handle full flow. For the return I used 3/4" (19mm) as this fitted onto the outlet of my pump.

Hope that helps at least a little.

Cheers

Damo A man without religion is like a fish without a bike......

Hope you don't mind Damo :)

work out how many liters your tank holds then multiply that by 4 or 6 depending on how many times u want the water turned over and get a pump thats somewhere near close

as for the hole size/bulkhead requirements if ya want gurgling noises like when u pull the plug on the bath go small and not enough

seriously that site has no idea its assumes that you get a totally full return pipe at optimum pressure load of bollox experience tells me 25 mm x2 will work if your running a 12-1500 lph pump and not much more and even this will struggle to cope, the site u mentioned says for my 3500lph pump i need 1 x 32 mm bulkhead = fail / dry sump gurgling noises i actually needed 2 x32 . on my 2500lph pump i have 3x20 mm i started with 2 and ended up adding the 3rd and they struggle but i have silenced them to what they were b4 the 3rd was added

end of the day do your self a favor use that site by all means but double what they say