fishamungus

My malawi display tank comming along...

Yay :D exciting stuff! I am starting to get there (slowly but surely) with my fish collection. The tank is looking heaps better now with lots more colour and action. Everyone seems to be getting along well so far too.. which is a relief, as theyre mainly male haps & peacocks with a few electric yellows, frontosa, trio of albino s/f b/n & some peps... so a bit of a mix in there!

Just thought id try posting a couple of pics on here. (sorry its a crappy camera so not the best photos. Its so slow :rolleyes: and tried many ways but in the end had to take some with the flash & did one without but its a bit blurry.) I also have put a video on utube..

which gives a bit better idea of what its like.

Any comments on things you like or think I could do better would be appreciated! :cool: Cheers

post-3913-14711623210418_thumb.jpg

post-3913-14711623210705_thumb.jpg

post-3913-14711623210946_thumb.jpg

Tank looks great, how much housekeeping do you have to do?. I have about 28 cichlids and then a clean up crew as well but find I could vacuum the tank to clean up the pooh every day nearly. I have just bought 20 golden apple snails to help keep the glass clean.

What ph are you running ??? I stay around 8.2 which seems inline with all the info i have read about, it is always good to check and compare with others.

Again tank is a winner, well done.

cheers

garry

thanks garry for your nice comments. I love getting new fish and stuff for the tank and seeing it finally taking shape after all the effort. I try to do weekly waterchanges and vacuum the gravel except for under the bombies. I do an entire rescape prob once a month.. changes the entire look of the tank & I can clean under all the coral. I clean out my filters as they need it... the internal usually once a week/ft and the cannister not very often due to my bacteria colony in it.

Wow sounds a lot like a lot of crap you have there.. ha ha :) Ive got about 22 fish now.. but theyre a real mix in sizes and I still have quite a few juvi's in there. And my b/n are not overly big yet. They seem to keep most of the glass, coral & shells pretty clean for me - eg I havent cleaned the glass for ages and forgot to do it before the pics so thats what they keep it like really. However I do try to alternate their food on & off certain days to keep em workin! I also find the internal stirs quite a bit up and they do too at feeding frenzy time!

Well ive never tried any snails.. How are they going for you? What filtration are you running? As far as water parameters go.. i just got a freshwater kit the other day and havent had time to do it yet. I should be pretty ok for ph with the coral in the tank.. but will be interesting to see the exact reading so I can check/compare as you say. Will try and do it in next couple of days and keep ya posted. Have you got a pic up of your tank somewhere too?

I must admit the tank can look good and then after feeding time I realise that there was a fair amount of gunk hiding somewhere. I use a sump for my filtration and 2 2000 ltr otto internals. I think your levels will be pretty good myself with the coral you have in there. I bought 20 snails and I don't know if they are doing anything at present, I think they are keeping there heads covered until the cichlids get bored and not so nosy of them. So far none have been eaten, they have found spots under rocks to get cover and some have buried themselves partially in the sand. Once they get a bit bigger all will be well i think.

As for my tank have a look in the video and photo section, i have put up a post about my 6 ft cichlid tank. have a gander there, pics are average, getting good tank pics is not as easy as it seems.

Hey garman, Yeah your tank looks great.. And sooo nice and clean in the pics! Perhaps the sand shows it up more as it sits on the top? Plenty of filtration.. with 2 internals & sump.. ive only got the 1 otto. So sounds pretty good to me - theyre just messy buggers I think :) Will be interesting to see how the snails go (frontosa keeper) sorry havent had any before but I know that one of the haps I was looking at buying was one that ate snails! Yes agree about the photography.. ive got a tempermental camera and hoping to get a quick one soon so I can capture these fish as well as others do on here... especially the individual shots of fishes.

I meant to add that i have been experimenting with turning one otto off and leave the other one run for an hour or so then turning it back on and turning the other one off etc...........just to change the flow of water around rocks and creating different eddies and whirlpools etc etc I am going to buy a couple of timers and just set em on two hours apart and let em go. If you keep the yuch stirred it has gotta go thrue the sump eventually or it finds a spot that it sits in and then vacuum up that bit.

looks nice great choice in fish you got some very nice looking guys in there, how big are all your fish ? if you got mostly haps etc you cant loose some/alot of the rocks to help with the cleaning of your tank

As you may know haps are more open water fish so dont need the big rockwork like mbuna do , gives you a better view of the haps too ,also less rockwork can mean less terriotories so less aggression ( but in saying that they still need some where to hide if you dont get one of those bugger fish) less rockwork can also give you less injuries with some haps as they always try and fit in places they just cant fit , but looks good either way, only dowside i would add is the b/n etc in there add some cuckoos instead makes it more of a malawi / african display tank

Terry

Edited by whiteknight

thats a different idea Garman, having 2 on a timer.. ive been changing the angle of mine to see the differences it makes for the b/n (& their breeding caves) and the movement of fish. Sometimes they all seem to hang down one end of my tank for some reason? Thought it might be cause of flow.

Cheers for the comments terry - was great I got 8 fish ive been looking for for ages.. like the mdoka white lips. Theyre all pretty large about 14cm i suppose. The rest are a mix from 5cm yellows & b/n to my phenochillus which is about the 11cm mark now and starting to get more scaly like your one now. Ive noticed the odd sml scratch over the 3yrs ive had it.. but 4 the 1st time i had to save an electric yellow that got stuck the other night with its nose poking out which was a bit of a shock.. Spotted it just before bed.. so that was fun pre-bedtime task! Managed to get it out though. But I really do love that coral. I have also gotten fond of the b/n, thier cleaning & watching them breed its great. I do have a big cuckoo cat hiding in the coral too but you dont see him much, mainly at feeding time.

thanks, its a 4ft airstone along the back of the tank. Was hoping if I vac under the coral each week when I do my water change all should be good? I usually do a rescape while im there.. here is this weeks effort, LOl. Tried to do less caves this time. Also a closer pic of the virgatus (one of my faves), mloto (which is starting to colour up) and mr b/n & his shell waiting for one of his lady friends..

post-3913-14711623309479_thumb.jpg

post-3913-14711623309595_thumb.jpg

post-3913-14711623309704_thumb.jpg

post-3913-14711623309791_thumb.jpg

post-3913-14711623310075_thumb.jpg