discus_noob

Geophagus Tapajos meets Apistogramma Bitaeniata

Hi guys and girls,

In my Geophagus Tapajos tank there are also some lovely Apistogrammas in there. Before anyone critics why, it is simply because the Apistos and the Geos never bother another and if a Geo comes within the Apistos area then BOOM the Geo gets it and the Apisto is more feisty than the Geo any day of the week. They are not big enough for the Geos mouth no chance in hell!!!! Until I found out tonight I was wrong. They get fed 3 times a day and just got their daily water change so unsure why it decided the apisto was an expensive snack after scoffing down a feed of live blackworm an hour earlier.

Apistogramma Bitaeniata was the Apisto of choice for the Geo to be precise. They are growing at a rapid rate from small fry and are at about 3cms now with largest being 4cms. The smallest one however was no match for one of my dominant Geophagus Tapajos tonight who thought it would be awesome to munch on him head first leaving his tail wriggling around while he was still alive in the Geo's mouth. I had to become fish vet for the evening and catch the geo and try and save the poor Apistogramma however it was too late :( RIP APISTO :(

I got action shots for those who want to look at the fat guts (got so bloody mad at him too wanted to stab him for doing it but it is not his fault after all) Will upload the youtube link of tank soon including it holding the apisto in its mouth

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

Adam

They have never been an issue until last night. That is about two months of problem free until last night. So do not stress too much, it took me by HUGE SURPRISE as they have settled in so well and never ever would do such a thing! I have no problems with dumping a few more in in the next two weeks so do not let it bother you with your tank they are perfect as they ALWAYS leave eachother alone and never interfere until last night, which I still do not know why, unless a male and female geo were pairing off n the Apisto got in the way. My Geos seem the same size as yours as they do have the same colour and size n shape as your fellas do (mine just do not show it due to poor pictures and such tannined waters) so it shall be fine :)

I had a similar thing recently... My big spangled gudgeon would usually only eat very slow moving critters, and was too lazy to bother most of the little firetail gudgeons in my 8x2x2. He preferred to wait for the hand feeding of big bait prawns and the lovely frozen cocktail chunks (spoilt bugger). About half an hour after he had been stuffed to the gills with food, I added my long-awaited 6 x coal grunter juvies (which usually move like lightning and should be minimal risk of predation by this dude). The grunters were the original planned feature of my display and the gudgeon was more of a "charity case" impulse buy.

Within three minutes he had eaten two of the grunters, so I netted him out into a "detention centre" until I could sell him! Stupid me, it wasn't his fault as he is a large, predatory fish... I just couldn't believe his change in M.O. but I guess the larger prey size got him all fired up.

Ah well, this stuff happens. Never underestimate fish. I remember a quote from one of my earliest aquarium beginner books...

"Big fish eat little fish... Even big peaceful fish eat little fish".

Good luck with your display. It looks great!