goldenswimmers

Hey Guys...new to Marines and am wondering about collecting your own from the sea!!!!

Hey Guys,

I am new to Marine set ups and was wondering about collecting fish from the ocean(obviously nothing large as I respect their freedom and also nothing that clashes like predatory,etc and based on aquarium restrictions)...I am wondering about the legal side of collecting small guys from the ocean,etc...is this legal?...if so what are the restrictions etc?....is a permit required?....some of the better beginner fish to admire /look after?....thanks guys and also any warnings...things I could avoid without learning the hard way!!!....cheers guys and am all ears!!!!!

There are restrictions, but not really with anything you're probably after. Before the change over to this new forum there was a group that dive on some reefs on the gold coast and sunny coast that post pic's of everything they catch and they do it legally. I'll have a look through my favourites, I think I have there website. But do be careful of what you do take i.e live rock etc. A lot of members collect stuff and then post on here what they took, good way of getting into trouble.

Also make sure you have your tank all set up and running with no N02, N03, and NH3/NH4. I've only just started my marine tank, I was lucky as I transported it and kept all water, live rock, substrate and filter material so tank was established. Checked readings for a few weeks and had nothing then started adding fish and more live rock slowly.

71681_455195496987_667476987_5350310_7489448_n.jpg

76924_459231321987_667476987_5425823_3767881_n.jpg

As for catching fish, I have tried but have been unsuccessful, going to ballina in the near future becasue in the shallows I have seen Damsels, I think blue chromis which are a good beginner fish. I also found that you need to read up on the fish you want eg, I have a dwarf bi-colour angel and in my size tank I can only have 1 because they get aggressive to there own kind.

Cheers scuba16...you have helped me out big time....I like your approach for basically letting the ocean set your tank up for you(think thats the best way and I'm not going for a huge set up)and its the safest(and obviously will make sure its by the book with grabbing things legally etc)....I used to do a little bit of spearfishing quite a few years ago and dont believe in abusing the ocean(idiots that spear fish they are not going to eat or are too small,etc) so thought if it was legal this would be the way to go with collecting a couple of little guys...will check out the SEQ Aquarium Society too....cheers for all the advice guys and think I will post some pics as I get it up and running....any recommendations for some nice starter fish....

I just bought some blue chromis, $12 each, they are easy to look after, pretty hardy and they school together. They get to about 5-6cm I think but mine are about 2cm and I plan on upgrading to bigger tank once I get pro at this salt water thing. But they are a damsel so when bigger will have ago at weaker fish. But most goby's are friendly, single angels but just do the research on what goes with what. I would go damsels.

chromis.jpg

Your chromis will probably kill each other as they get bigger until there is only 1 left. Very common and expected with chromis.

Checkout the MASA site if youre into marine, VERY VERY good information and inspirational tank journals.

I myself have a 5x2.5x1.5 reef about 7 months old, a 2ft cube having its first wet test tomorrow vefore picking up some new liverock and lighting on wednesday.

Upgrading the 5footer to a 5x2x2.5 as i like the greater depth.

Mainly keepin softies/lps but about to start getting into clams/sps etc.

Nick ;)

I was going to keep the chromis in the tank until i upgrade to something bigger and then just have chromis schooling. I do understand that they are a damsel and so can be a little nasty but I thought chromis's were a little better. Have you been to Pet City? They have their coral tank with chromis, they look great swimming together.

Yeah, theyre fine for a few motnhs but it seems to be when they mature or something a more dominant fish slowly picks off the others, about 95% of masa members with chromis end up with 1 or 2 left from their school. When i first started i ordered 10 chromis but was warned by others and started researching more about my fututre fish purchases :) But for your sake i hope they are good little chromis's :D Theyre nasty little buggers to eachother but not really to other fish.

The pet city coral tank looks epic though, thats a LOT of chromis! But ya you need more than a couple to get the schooling happening. if ya ever see them in the wild its usually in schools of at least 100

I like those gold line cardinals (Apogon cyanosoma) . A lot more chilled out than chromis/damsels.

but just as tough to new water conditions.

I've been reading apparently you can pretty much switch from a freswater set up to a saltwater set up(as long as there are no metal components,etc) and you grab a protein skimmer.Any tips/anyone done this?I have some big freshwaters set up and was thinking of switching 1 over.I would also do alot more testing(to get correct levels) and was also reading you have to run the tank for about 4 weeks to get the right levels,etc.......all ears!!?