ausfishy

Best live bearer to breed?

What does everyone think are the most popular live bearers that are bought in LFS

Guppy's?

Mollies?

Sailfin Mollies?

Swords tails?

etc

Im thinking probably guppy's just. But was wondering what everyone else thought was the most popular/best to breed for money/trade ins.

cheers,

If looking to trade in to "normal" shops then breed mixed guppies, platys and swords (in order of priority) . If you are absolutely passionate about your livebearers and refuse to breed mongrels then forget selling to the main majority of pet shops and breed line bred, true breeding, display quality stunners. If you do that you will have private buyers and top shops requesting your fry over others, and usually they will pay the money associated with quality aswell

HTH

Ron

I think linebreed is the only way to go.

yes mongrel red guppys are a good option.... but red eyed koi swords, brick red wagtail platy, tiger platy, bumble bee platy, black molly, silver molly, sailfin balloon molly mixes are ALL very popular.

endlers HAVE TO BE PURE so it costs a bit to start a breeding setup

Get the best quality Guppies and Platies you can to start a breeding programme - and stick to 2 or 3 good colour varieties for each. As am ex-owner of a LFS I used to get a constant stream of livebearers offered, almost all too small and too plain to be interested in. Most breeders could have done as well by making a trip to their local creek. If it was a young kid we wanted to encourage we would buy them to use as live food (not that we told them that), but in general we weren't interested. Occasionally someone would turn up with a nice batch of well coloured, even sized fish and we would always buy good fish at the going Bay wholesale price.

But whatever you decide on, go for quality, and stick to one or two colours that you can breed true to - I would much sooner see a nice bag of Sunset Platies than a mixed bag of odds and sods in colours - that sort of thing is cheap at the wholesalers. It might take a couple of generations of guppies due to the difficulty of finding good females. Make the effort to look around for the best looking breeding stock you can find - if you start out with mediocre fish you will always end up with mediocre fish. Guppies especially are difficult to find really good fish. When I started in the hobby around 1980 there were lovely BIG male guppies to be found well on twice the size of many around these days. Those fish still are bred in SE Asia but they go to Europe and America - I've seen magnificent ones in the USA fish shops. Australia tends to get the seconds, since we won't pay top money for a guppy.

as most people know i breed guppys but any livebearers will breed easy fry arnt hard to keep alive neither live bearers are money makers if you can get the numbers good colours are what shops want the most. good tip you dont have to own a strain for the shops to buy them most shops dont care as long as they arnt deformed and dull in colour if they are good form and bright colours you wont have any worry moving them on.

as for strains i suggest breeding your own buy buying proven pure strains off the members on here. good luck

ive breed live bears before, was really after peoples opinions of the most popular colours? breeds? tho. So i can setup a precise system not one of odds and ends. as above.

as above

red eyed koi swords, brick red wagtail platy, tiger platy, bumble bee platy, black molly, silver molly, sailfin balloon molly

ive breed live bears before, was really after peoples opinions of the most popular colours? breeds? tho. So i can setup a precise system not one of odds and ends. as above.

With guppies I would suggest any of the "metallic" colour forms or snakeskins, they were always.the first to sell out of an "assorted" tank. With swordtails I personally would breed some pure reds, its so hard at times to find quality red swords. Mollies I reckon the lyretail was most popular strain and dalmation the most popular colour variant. And finally with platys, deep reds wagtails, as.DFF said,would disappear straight away, also quality blues and hi fin platys did very well. Only speaking on behalf of a retail POV from my short stint in a pet shop, but if thats the market your aiming at then I hope ive helped in some way.

With Platies we found Sunset, deep red Wagtail and good blues sold the best.

Guppies anything with lots of red - snakeskin especially.

Mollies - dalmation varieties, especially balloon mollies in recent years.

Swords - red wagtail types most popular.

Again, for better money for the same amount of effort, get the best quality breeding stock you possibly can.

Although given the way the import rules might develop, getting into gouramis is probably going to be the most profitable