Scotty

Barramundi Experiment.

Ok, so when I bought this house the previous occupants left us the big blue plastic drum, filled with rainwater just under our pergola out the back. It's connected to the drain pipes from the pergola and gets all the rain water in it when it rains (well duh!).

Now this is a great drum and holds a fair bit of water which is useful up here with so many restrictions on water these days. Only thing is, there are mosquitos everywhere in and around the tank.

What I propose to do is check the ph and condition of the water, and providing its stable enough throw a small barra in there to see if it'll help stop the mosquitos breeding in there.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Will be taking photos along the way.

I think you'll find the tank will need filtration as the barra are quite messy fish.

I think you'll also find that the mosquito larvae wont be enough to feed a barra especially as they get bigger. remember that a barra grows about 30cms in the first year and about 20 cms every year after for 4 or 5 years.

The barra is pretty pH tolerant and can live in pretty much any reasonable pH.

As long as it rains fairly often where u live then water changes wont be a problem.

Joff

mate try some guppies/swordies first to get rid of the mossie larvie then add your barra, so the food link is followed through, but keep adding guppies /PRETTY GOLD FISH (you know the ones kiddies LOVE :twisted: ) to keep your barra alive. and all is good