I have heard of them being around but not something your likely to see advertised for sale

Just cos they are noxious doesnt mean they dont exist here

Also last time I heard about some for sale they werent cheap and only fairly small

That was a few years back now

Brad

a friend of a friend has a red bellied pacu, ive seen what it can do to little things nice and furry ,thats about the closest id think you'll get to a piranna in QLD anyway

Pacu's are actually on the queensland noxious list so technically your not allowed to keep these either, they are of the subfamily Serrasalminae, see the noxius list here:

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/1347.html

However i have also seen pacus in queensland, though pricey they would be a lot eaiser to find then piranhas if you can cater to their needs (tank size wise)

Strangly enough piranha are a shy fish in a tank set up

But they have still been known to bite off a finger or 2

They do best on white bait and leen meats and prawns and fish

And should be kept in groups of 3 or more and will live with larger fish with out too many problems

Roo

The pirhana is famous for being a very aggressive fish. What most people don't know is in the "wild" they travel around in schools of 1000's killing/eating stuff....There was an underwater photo of an animal (maybe a cat??) being eaten by a good size school... (anyone have a copy of it??)A solo or small group of P's isn't to impressive....

If you want an agressive "bitey" fish, imo you'd be much better off looking at some of our native species like Mangrove jack or Americans such as C. temensis or Jaguar cichlids. You'll find them to be much cheaper than what you would have to pay for a pirhana and no doubt pack a bigger punch..

A jack can bite another fish its own size, in half.. Pound for pound my monies on the jack

gl

Wayne

When I was studying marine biology at JCU ages ago, I had to write an essay about the aquarium fish trade and its regulations (and all in just 800 words too !!). I found that not only are piranhas illegal to import, but so are certain types of totally harmless fish that merely looked like the red-breasted pirahna (talk about guilt by association !). How many people here know that the vast majority of piranha species are exclusively vegetarian. But they aer a noxious fish, and unfortunately very hardy, so they would eaily colonise creeks in northern australia. To give you an idea of how hardy they are, police in Hamilton Canada (south of Toronto) found a living piranha about 12 inches long that had survived an entire winter in park pond...somehow I don't think that the rivers of northern Australia would be too difficult to colonise !

Good luck trying to find them though...