bjc90

Large fish? with Americans

I am looking for a large fish something like a Saratoga to go with my Americans in an 2400x600x700 tank. I currently have a jag, 2red devils, 3jd's, 2 cubans. All of them are around the 20cm mark. I want another larger fish with some personality. Been reading and the Saratoga jardini seems to be very close to the water requirements as the others. Just wanting to get some ideas on some others or just in general some comments about some new additions.

a toga would be fine, just keep in mind they all have very different personalities and some can be very cranky, so make sure you get one thats either known to be gentle/calm or get a small one to start with.

other suggestions: Peacock bass (there's a few floating around), motoro stingrays, datnoids... all quite expensive fish though... otherwise there is plenty of other cichlids you could look at.

Sweet thanks mate I'll have a look into the ones u mentioned. How many extra do ithink I could add in there? Like could it be as an example the toga and the peacock bass ? Also mate i'd love to see some photos of your 8ft its huge. Can't seem to view them on that thread of yours.

Thanks again

Blake

i think a single toga and Pbass would be ok, i'd consider the tank stocked and full with those two. I wouldnt put more than that, as both the bass and toga will get to 2ft plus in size...

Yeah the photos of my tank didnt carry over properly when the forum upgraded... ill be starting a new thread with new photos soon.

When u say single toga and pbass are u meaning that's all? Or with the Americans I currently have that would be the max? Ok excellent look forward to seeing some

photos.

What varients are there avaliable for the Peacock Bass in Australia or at least readily avaliable?

I'll have a look at those too. Was really interested in the toga and pbass though.

Cheers

Edited by bjc90

dont put a pearsei with a saratoga.... the saratoga will stress it out too much. saratoga can be a bully. Btw if you wanna sell the pearsei to me im keen! :)

I got a big jag and jd in my tank with my toga and he still picks on them. Its true if you want to put a toga in the mix your better off going a smaller one which can mature with the other fish.

How big is this tank they are going into volume wise(sorry too lazy to do the calculation)... my toga eats heaps and makes alot of mess, and he is around the 50cm mark so you need to be prepared :) i reckon you should be fine with a saratoga if there is enough hiding places for the other fish

bjc i mean a toga and bass plus the fish you already have would be ok (definitely max though)

as said though, just be careful with the toga.

As to the peacock bass, monoculous and temensis are available in australia as far as im aware, but temensis are very hard to come by, (they get too big for your tank anyway)

you should be able to get a 20-40cm mono for around the $300-$400 mark.