__CAV__

introducing female dovii to male questions?

Hey Guys,

I've just acquired a female dovii (thanks Fishbee, she's settling in well) and i need to introduce her to my male once she comes out of quarantine in a few weeks.

Now I know dovii are agro as, so this is what i was going to do

1. fill the bottom of the tank with broken pots, etc - small little hide aways that she can get into but he can't.

2. segegrate them with egg crate diffuser.

3. once they have gotten used to each other i was going to drill a few holes in the egg crate which she could get through and he could not, so that if he does hassle her she has areas where she will be safe.

i think this should work but if anyone has previous experience with introducing mature dovii's i would love your help.

Thanks

Cav

Sounds like you have covered all areas Cav, Be patient and probably give them time to get used

to each other, before putting them together. And when you do, Don't put them together and go to work for 8 hrs..

Be close by to see how things go, at least in the beginning any way.. Good luck with the pairing Mate.

Cheers Steve

I only ever introduce fish on a weekend or day off cause of fighting. You could mix up the tank so the male feels like its a new tank and let the female in a few hours before the male so she gets to find the hiding spots and is settled in. Use the eggcrate so they can see each other and pair and she can get ready to spawn then let them together after her tube is down. Even then its good to still have plastic pipes in there Some Dovii males can kill before you can get the female out

other than that you seem to be on the ball

Fish junkie

I agree with all of the above however i beleive the best bet is actually setting the female up in the breeding tank and let it become her territory, then eventually introduce the male, that way he is the intruder. Another way i have bred small females to large males is to have 2 tanks butted up, that way the male and female still see each other, then once her tube is down introduce the 2. Not saying anyway works better, just giving options. But as has been said, only introduce on a day when you can watch them closely. Big dovii are still capable of removing dividers from a seemingly firmly fixed position.

I have heard of people breeding big dovii and festae by using a piece of eggcrate to divide the tank, and putting a big rock up against the eggcrate on the females side, with a small powerhead up the males end of the tank pushing the flow towards the females end. They will get excited through the eggcrate, the female will lay eggs on the rock and the current will push the males sperm towards the rock and eggs. You probably wouldn't get a 100% fertilisation rate, but with the size of their spawns, you don't need to, and there is no risk to the female.

Or you could just do what Bill Smith at Smith's Aquarium used to do with his massive festae pair, he put a milkcrate upside down in the middle of the tank with a couple of bricks on it to hold it down. The female could get in and out of it, and the male couldn't. Worked a treat for a long time and many spawns.

Cheers, Doug

cheers guys so far for the extra ideas,

They can currently see each other (their tanks are opposing one another),

and he seems to be up at the glass fanning away, so pretty sure he's keen to breed.

In the last 2 or so days she's been reciprocating his fanning, so im pretty sure its safe to say, they'll pair up.

i like the milk crate idea as well (i dont really trust the egg crate, i'm sure he'd smash thru it if he wanted), but i think i might have to move him and set the female up and introduce him later.

thanks again for the help

Cav