WhoWeR

Black ghost Knife and African knife fish

The African knife (Xenomystus nigri) is quite social, one of the smaller knife species and will actively swim mid water with other knifes. The BGK is solitary, territorial against other knives and prefers to lurk in caves or dark holes. I do keep large BGKs in a colony but they need to be very overcrowded with multiple hiding places.

Both are predatory fish but not aggressive. Both are breedable (naturally) if you like challenging interesting fish.

They didn't die because of the charge. I have done some uni study readings on electric pulses etc in these fish. It is more a case of the 2 fish not getting along. As winnie said, BG are territorial as are elephant noses, ie; have their own hierarchy system.

One of each is a no no. IMO

Frenchy :D

I have a 30 cm BGK & 13cm, and I think there better than thye other ones

The big guy was shy in the tank with my other Malawies

But since he is now in a planted tank with smaller fish he is out all the time

There fun to watch , He tryes to sleep on top of the plants but ends up slipping off only to get back up to do it all over lol

Roo

I have two african knives. They are much more active during the day than the BGK as pointed out. They have no fear of other fish, yet dont annoy them either. they readily brush up against your hand when it is in the tank too. Always ready when the food goes in. love their tucker. Love to have plants to rest and move through. Like all knives, they cannot be trusted around fish that fit in their mouths. can pretty much guarantee they will be gone in the morning. have mixed them with many types of fish (synodontis petricola, S tinanti, X spilopterus, congo tetras, kribs, thomasi, gold comps, bristlenose, pleco, julidochromis, yo yo loaches.... thats about it.) with no problems. maximum size is about 6-8 inches.

Cheers,

Jason

PS: mine are for sale atm too :P