ok so i brought in a fish from an unnamed lfs here and it had whitespot *i didnt quarantine as it was in a display and looked healthy in the shop. anyways nowe both my clown loaches have whitespot really bad, so i have already treated them with whitespot treatment *a formaldehyde/mal green mix* and its doing nothing for them would throwing a handful of salt in help out? also what kind of salt? i mean i have salt flaked that i use in cooking or are there certain types of sakt that can be used??? cheers peoples a quick response would really save my fish some unneccesary agony :)

You can treat at half dose with the white spot remedy. Make sure your tank is well aerated if you raise the tank temp. The disease can take a week or so to kill off. You can do partial water changes every other day with a gravel vac to remove cysts out of the gravel.

I would do a treatment after you cant see any more white spots too.

Frenchy :D

Have you read up on Ich? It has three stages of it's life and 2 are vulnerable to medication, but not the visible white dot stage.

Here's a very thorough guide that was given to me by Pete. http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

When I had Ich in my display I turned the temp up to 31-32 degrees, added 1gm/L of Aquarium Salt, and used Waterlife Protozin and within a few days the specs had dropped off and never came back, no deaths or abnormal behavior.

well theres no abnormal behaviour. just did a 30% waterchange and gravel vac, and a filter clean too, so will see how its going turned the temp up to 31 degrees and will retreat with whitespot treatment again in 3 days

just do the temp thing it seems to work every time i didnt even use medication

There are two main strains of the Ich parasite, one is vulnerable to heat treatment, and the other is vulnerable to salt treatment. For all strands, the heat treatment will speed up the life cycle of the parasites but will only kill one type.

Personally I treated with Salt, Medication & Heat because I didn't want to take the risk of any encysting and further infecting my fish, but I understand that a solid dose of salt (pending tank inhabitants) and increasing the temperature of the tank to 31-32 will kill off any type of Ich.

well im using the heat/medication treatment as most of the fish in the tank are scaless i.e bnose plecs and loaches therefore i cannot use salt im told? so yeah looks like the cycts are starting to fall off so heres hoping i get on top of this :) well one more thing what kind of disease is white spot??? is it parasitic/fungal/bacterial??? or viral