chaosrainz

Bristlenose with no substrate

Hi,

One of my tanks has no substrate as I like how easy it is to clean properly and the mirror effect it provides is something different.

I would like to add some BN's to this setup but it doesn't feel quite right with no substrate.

Has anyone done this before? do you think it is a bad idea?

Thanks,

Ben

I have some bns in a tank without substrate,they seem to be ok.Some/most with substrate.I have but been told by more experienced people than myself

that it might be a better idea to have substrate and I can clearly see their points.Poisonous slime build up on the bottom of your tank, substrate

supports good bactirial colony, fish might show better colours against natural background,sure there is much more.On the upside cleaning is a breeze,

you can see kicked out eggs way faster,save a few $$$$. As for myself I think it is a much more secure idea to have substrate,especially when I started

out with not much experience as things might go wrong quicker in a bare bottom tank.My own experience I have bred a variety of commonly known

bristlenoses .Still learning,no expert lol

Have a nice day

Herb

Edited by Herby1

i breed common bn and i raise all the fry in a tank with no substrate and they are all good.

as long as there is plenty of food and a nice piece of driftwood in the tank they should be fine.

i have never had problems with bare bottom tanks and most of my fry are living happy and healthy

David

Edited by david1991

I breed and grow mine in barebottom tanks too. However i have been having similar concerns lately about cories...

I want to take all the gravel out of my display with discus, but i feel like it would upset my cories and Sailfin. BN should be fine they grew up like that. But i do see your point.

Does anyone know if cories would be ok in a bare bottom??

Sorry for the hijack.

I want to take all the gravel out of my display with discus, but i feel like it would upset my cories and Sailfin. BN should be fine they grew up like that. But i do see your point.

Does anyone know if cories would be ok in a bare bottom??

Get your cory's some sand, they love shifting through it for food and also gravel can damage their barbels

sorry about hijacking ur thread too..

Cav