AussieCanadian

Best Food For Tropheus ???

NLS Grow for babies (or crushed NLS Cichlid or Thera A (contains garlic))

Adults

NLS Cichlid or NLS Thera A

HBH Vege Flakes

Sera Flora

Source: http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/index.php?

Experts always emphasise not to overfeed and not to change their diet abruptly - any diet change should be a gradual thing so as not to cause stress or bloat or other problems. Find what food works for your fish and stick to it. :)

Another good source:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... opheus.php

Experts always emphasise not to overfeed and not to change their diet abruptly - any diet change should be a gradual thing so as not to cause stress or bloat or other problems. Find what food works for your fish and stick to it. :)

Just to clarify on this, I vary my American Cichlids diet between 4 different Hikari Products as well as mixing in vegetables, beefheart etc. here and there, never overfeeding.

Is this 'rule' something that pertains only to Tropheus species, as I was under the impression that a varied diet was healthy for fish?

The premise is that Tropheus inhabit an area that is very stable (water composition / parameter wise and food availability wise) whereas Sth Americans' conditions change and vary all the time. :)

Some argue their longer digestive tract also makes them more sensitive to diet change.

OSI spirulina flake and HBH algae wafers and fresh veg are other products that some breeders use.

Peter

The premise is that Tropheus inhabit an area that is very stable (water composition / parameter wise and food availability wise) whereas Sth Americans' conditions change and vary all the time. :)

Some argue their longer digestive tract also makes them more sensitive to diet change.

OSI spirulina flake and HBH algae wafers and fresh veg are other products that some breeders use.

Peter

Cheers mate, that sums it up well.

Is this 'rule' something that pertains only to Tropheus species, as I was under the impression that a varied diet was healthy for fish?

I think you're right there Japes, a varied diet is a good thing but only as long as you've researched the species feeding habits and they lean towards being Omnivorous.

The Tropheus rule doesn't apply to all species, the important thing is you know what your fish would normally feed on in the wild.