netty_3164

Outdoor Experimental Rainbow Tank

Hi all,

Since this thread was lost due to the recent transfer of servers, I will re-post for those interested. I plan to do a recent update soon so stay tuned.

Dimension: 90 X 38 X 38 (130 L)

Filter: JT internal filter 950L/h

Substrate: Walstad method with topsoil, organic garden fertilizer, Manutec Water Garden tablet capped off with acrylic pool filter sand.

Heating: none

Hardscape: River Stones & Dried Dead Mangrove Branches

Plants

-Microsorum pteropus

-Microsorum pteropus 'windelov'

-Vesicularia montagnei (christmas)

-Vesicularia ferriei (weeping)

-Taxiphyllum barbieri (java moss)

-Taxiphyllum sp. (peacock moss)

-Native Fissiden

-Subwassertang

-Limnobium laevigatum

-Hydrocotyle verticillata

-Val. Gigantea

-Val. Nana

-Val. 'thin'

-Eleocharis parvula

-Riccia fluitan

-Echinodorus Ozelot

-Echinodorus tenellus

-Bacopa sp.

-Nymphaea sp. 'Yellow'

-Rotala wallichii

-Ludwigia inclinata

-Rotala macranda

-Limnophila aromatica 'Asian & Aquagreen' variety

-Rotala rotundifolia

-Rotala sp. 'green'

-Ludwigia repens

-Hygrophila polysperma

-Hemianthus callitrichoides

Stock:

-11 x Melanotaenia duboulayi

-1 x Poecilia latipinna (Sailfin Molly)

-8 x Xiphophorus maculatus (Sunset, wagtail & red platies)

-6 x Melanotaenia splendida inornata (Mary River)

-2 x Ancistrus sp. (long-fin bristlenose)

-20 x Paratya australiensis (glass shrimp)

-4 x Xiphophorus hellerii (Green swordtail)

-6 x Hypseleotris galii (firetail gudgeon)

-5 Gulbuwangay Melanotaenia trifasciata in grow out tank *to be added into the tank soon

4734835585_981264f5a9_b.jpg

Four Months Later

SAM_07401024x768.jpg

SAM_07581024x768.jpg

SAM_06651024x768.jpg

Hope you guys like it and have found some inspiration through this tank

Updated pictures coming soon.

Cheers,

John

Edited by netty_3164

They surely can be, especially in the morning. As mentioned before, it has taken the male shown above approximately a year to mature into those magnificent colours.

I am quite excited with my new additions and can't wait til they mature; the bedjals and the M. splendida inornata. Here is a picture of each adult.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1Nyk2S

http://www.aquagreen.com.au/images/Mel%20splen%20inornata%2002.jpg

Thought you guys might like an update of the outdoor tank. The tank now only stocks 6 Mary River M.splendida inornata rainbowbows + 1 female boesemani. The weather is starting to get a bit chillier which means I may have to transfer the 6 bows. indoors. Additional plants since last update:

-Crypt wenditti 'green'

-Crypt wenditti 'red'

-Bylxa aubertii

-Flame moss

-Bolbitis fern

-Peacock moss

-variegated wisteria

-Staurogyne

-needle java fern

Tank shots this afternoon

Vallisneria removed from the back gives the mangrove piece and rock arrangement more focal attention

P10502801024x768.jpg

Top view

P10503471024x768.jpg

Loving the dwarf/japanese hairgrass carpet :D

P10503381024x768.jpg

very very nice job, will be keeping an eye on this. I am about to set up a tank just for plants outside just for fun :P, do you have problems with birds at all coming to have a look see? And what do you think would happen if you didnt have a filter in the tank just had plants chillin in subtract ? im guessing algae gallor but other then that im guessing it wouldnt be to bad

Sorry for the late reply guys. Forgot I had updated this tank. At the moment, the tank only consists of only a (dwarf/japanese/belem mix) hair grass carpet. No filter, heater or fish. I plan to turn this into a fancy goldfish tank that has a nice lawn in the near future. :D

The Mary river bows have been traded for driftwood and I have donated the 8 adult M. duboulayi rainbows to the school.

@ Chris G, thanks mate. As you can see in the 2nd picture in this thread, there are lids for the tank so everything is safe. When the lids are off however, I sometimes see crows mucking around with the plants but do not touch the fish. If the tank is densely planted, it is possible to have just the substrate and plants as the plants will out compete the algae for nutrients and light. I used to have many tubs lying around with just plants and nothing else. Sometimes the tubs would get green water but then it made good food for the fish fry anyways.

@ Teacherman, thanks and you are correct, no heater or lights, just the filter running. I have mentioned above though that the tank is currently in 'dormancy' stage with no filter running, just the tank, substrate and my beautiful hair grass lawn. :)