fabs

F1 orange head tapajos use wood or indian almond leaves for water softener

Hi everyone,

Only got into fish at beginning of the year but gees has the bug hit hard ... tanks everywhere 2200 L system in garage full of africans breeding, and couldn't resist getting the tapajos for the inside tank so my question is this :

1st of all any help regarding keeping these healthy would be appreciated.

What in your opinion is the best/easiest way to keep the water right indian almond leaves or driftwood that leaches tannin ? or both ?

I currently have them with sandie bottom a few rocks 4 pieces of driftwood 2 of them have large anubias on them, water seems fairly clear they don't seem to be eating a lot I have only owned them for 2 weeks they are F1s , I have 13 of them at roughly 8 to 10 cm in a 5 ft tank.

I got given thera A large fish formula with them as that is what previous owner was feeding them what else is recommended.

Any news on the eartheater site coming back to qldaf ?

Thank you

Fabs

Hey mate, I'm not an expert with these

Fish but I have a couple of pairs and they are going fine.

Tank is full of driftwood, the tank also

Had some anubias in there Aswell but it didn't last long. I also have a few severums and

Some peps in there. Have got fry growing up at moment from

One of the pairs. I fees them on blood worms

And prestige 3mm pellets. (going to try some frozen blackworms) Also don't mean to be rude but what makes them f1 fish? A picture of tank would be good, just want to see how you have yours set up.

Ah yeah thanks for the reply mate, yeah will do pics one day not enough hours in the day for me at the moment though.

So F1 is fish born from wild caught fish, from what I understand, and F2 is fish born from F1 fish. i've never seen F3 so I think after that here just fish lol

Cheers mate,

Fabs

Tap water is pretty soft atm so all you need to do to get the water right is regular water changes. All they need is clean water, sand, a bit of driftwood and smooth rocks.

The eartheater site will probably be moved to a new server... need to stop sponging off grum!

Not having a go at you... but it's funny how many F1 Tapajos there are floating around. I reckon 99% of people out there wouldn't know the difference compared to an Araguaia. I even have trouble with some fish.

Hey mate,

I use driftwood that do leach a bit of tannins however most of the tannins are slowing down/very minimum now. I also use indian almond leaves from Fishchicks and pH is on 6.3 and is soft water every day of the week.

The fish like their own territories and also make sure theres enough wood or rocks in there too for them to hide or keep it their own.

I found with mine at 10cms now, they still only eat the 1.5 to 1mm pellets. They will not touch 2mm pellets. Mine eat live black worm, frozen blood worm, hikari discus bio gold, new life spectrum formula. Mix up their diet as much as possible mate and feed them twice a day and you will be laughing. If it is anything like my tapas they will not stop eating, even if you fed them three times a day and big amounts they would still demand more, so maybe try mixing their diet up and they might start eating more. Live blackworm would be good for them too, might entice them to eat more.

Do water changes as much as you can with them too with respect to the amount of food you are giving, and keep their water good and your laughing.

Thanks mate, lot's of good info there, do you ever feed brine schrimp ?

What temp do you run the tank at.

PM sent re buffer too BTW

Cheers

Fabs

Thanks ozarowana , sorry totally missed your reply last time I looked.

Thanks for the info, any idea when that eartheaters site will be back up ?

No worries I certainly would not be able to tell the difference either between the two I got the fish from herby101 and he seemed genuine in everything he said and was a real good guy to deal with.

Below is what was in the add when I got them :

13 x F1 OH Geo's, ranging in size from 8cm - 12cm

Approx 8 months Old, mix of sex unknown, 3 breeding pairs laying eggs every 14 - 16 days, I have not desired to breed nor keep any fry.

These were sourced from Fella (Keith) in Lismore, absolutely stunning fish, showing some great colours and shape.

Cheers

Fabs

Sounds like good quality fish. Fella's fish were of good standard. And no I dont feed brine shrimp, just what was said above. What are you feeding them at the moment and how often?

Tapajos are easy to look after mate; keep their water right, feed them twice a day, do your water changes and have a good environment for them in the tank and your laughing. They are not fussy at all.

Any other tank mates with them at all? A school of lemon tetras would look great with them.

Lemon tetras are great with orange heads.

I used to feed my orange heads fozen brine shrimp, as well as spirulina brine shrimp and blood worm from Hikari. I also found that my geos prefered smaller pellets. If you have larger pellets, just buy a cheap, coarse, pepper grinder and grind the pellets in to smaller ones.

Hey Briztoon while we are both on the topic of smaller pellets (sorry fabs for hijacking thread) do you know why it is they prefer them smaller as I have seen some red hump Geos suck on food far too big for their mouths until they break it down and then eat but my Tapas are far too fussy.

Mine will only touch 1 to 1.5mm nothing bigger in the pellet size. Are yours similar with eating habits? What size do your guys prefer? Any idea why they will not touch bigger say 2mm even...

Discus_noob: at the moment feeding what the old owner use to feed them large pellets thera a / prestige tiny vege pellets / I did last nigh feed frozen brine schrimp and they did kinda of go for it but weren't really jumping at it.

Briztoon: thanks mate will look at getting some of that hikari sounds hassle free lol.

Lemon tetras ? won't they eat the eggs / fry If I ever get any ? lol

thanks guys

ha ha no worries discuss_noob, Any hijacking on this thread is welcome as long as it has something to do with orange heads their environment or tank mates or anything else related to them.

It's been a couple of years since I had my orange heads. No idea why they didn't like larger pellets. The only large food I ever saw mine go for were algea wafers. They would suck on those and break them down.

I'm a firm believer in a varied diet. I prefer the Hikari range over NLS, but that's a personal preferance. A good mix of frozen and live foods (mossie larvae are so easy to cultivate in the backyard), a couple of different dry foods and some algea wafers broken up.

As for the Lemon tetras, the geos are pretty protective and do a good job of keeping tetras away from eggs and fry. There's more chance of fry being predated on by the other geos than the tetras.

Fabs get Hikari, mine smash it down so quick! They love it, and I too like Briztoon prefer it over New Life Spectrum formula. Then feed them some frozen bloodworm and live black worm and your sorted, even incorporate some 1mm New Life Spectrum Formula in there too. Try to stick to 1 to 1.5mm pellets as I recon they much prefer the smaller pellets rather than the 2mm and up from my experiences.

Also lemon tetras will be fine with them mate. I am picking up 20 tomorrow for my tank. The geos when they spawn they are extremely protective. I once put my finger in the tank and was about 10cms from where they spawned and one of the parents guarding the spawn lunged at my finger and bit it and would not let go shaking lots hahaha! They will hold their own when it comes time to spawning and are more likely to be other geos or bristlenose causing issues than lemon tetras. Plus lemons are middle and upper swimming fish where as the geos are in the bottom 1/4 so they do not interact as much mate. Some corydoras would make great tank mates too. Get a colony of 9 or 10 and your laughing, just make sure they are a larger cory. Even the larger apistos too, as they do not interfere with geos too much.

Yeah I'll get some other food for them ZI have some hikari but it's floating pellets don't think they'll go for it.

So I got get ready to get attacked when they spawn hey lol

Hey if I get the corydoras will they clean the sand from food left over from the tapajos ?

What's a good sort of corydoras to get ? is there different types ? I'm guessing there is, know nothing about them though.

Cheers

Hahahahaha there won't be any left over food from the geos. They are an eartheater, so continually sift the substrate looking for food.

I kept a dozen corydoras julii with my orange heads.

Theres plenty of large corydoras, go into Aquariums Alive and see the team there, they are obsessed with corydoras and can give you the names of the best ones. They are located in Nerang. Flick through their Corydoras book and they know what ones they can get in for ya.

Lets hope your guys do spawn, might take a bit to settle in and get acclimatised and hopefully lots of spawns. Be prepared for a few unsuccessful ones though.

Righto Briztoon lol I do see some small bit of fine food left over after they sift the sand and thought maybe the corys would clean that right up.

You had a dozen ? did they breed as well ?

they are only in a 5 ft tank so I think I might stick to just a few though don't want to overstock.

What do corys sell for ? what are they worth ?

Yeah I definately hope the geos spawn can't wait.

I have a 3 ft tank with just a breeding pair of gold severums, do you think I could put geo fry in there with them to grow out once they are at say 3 - 4 cm ?

thanks guys,

Fabs

The ones you will be chasing will sell for 20 to 30 dollars each, unless someone is selling a colony of them on here which is rare to find unfortunately so they do cost a fair bit.... Do not get any however if you are not prepared to buy 7 or more as they are a schooling fish and need to be kept in schools. 7 would be the bare minimum I would put in there, put a school of 9 in and your laughing.

Unsure on the fry situation, your best bet would be to ask the guy you bought them from or hit up the original breeder of the fish or Japes at Fishchicks as they would be your best bets to know what goes down with them or any other geo breeders on here.

The ones you will be chasing will sell for 20 to 30 dollars each, unless someone is selling a colony of them on here which is rare to find unfortunately so they do cost a fair bit.... Do not get any however if you are not prepared to buy 7 or more as they are a schooling fish and need to be kept in schools. 7 would be the bare minimum I would put in there, put a school of 9 in and your laughing.

Unsure on the fry situation, your best bet would be to ask the guy you bought them from or hit up the original breeder of the fish or Japes at Fishchicks as they would be your best bets to know what goes down with them or any other geo breeders on here.

would it be fine to have a mix of 7 or 8 geos(ie different types) in the 1 tank or do they need to be the same species to work well?

Edited by BRISSY
to work well

I think fabs is asking about cories in his last post. I would want to keep atleast a gang of six. As to what they sell for, well you would have to check what your LFS has in stock.

If I was growing out geo fry, I would want a bare bottom 4'x18"x18" to grow out the juveniles. After all, you're going to need a decent sized tank as they won't necessarily sell like hot cakes. The other thing to think about is, that you are likely to have up to 3 spawns growing out at a time if you are serious about breeding them. You may need to have more than one fry/grow out tank.

would it be fine to have a mix of 7 or 8 geos(ie different types) in the 1 tank or do they need to be the same species to work well?

No idea. I think wickky might keep a mixed Geo tank.

brissy

i have 3 mixed geo tanks

as long as you have 3 to 4 of the same species.

it all so depends on what size tank you got

in 2 of my tanks i got 3 to 4 different species in each tank

Oh looky were onto Geophagus ... Kewl ... :)

Firstly , any geophagus or associated species .. ie: Lucosticta (Jurapari) / araguia (red headed / tapajos / Surenimensis ?)

are all sand sifters , so when u feed them hakari pellets ( which increases by 2 fold when wet ) how would u NOT expect them to

either "not want it " ... fondle it in theyr'e mouths for ages to break it down so they can eat it , Or incure BLOAT from when they do suceed

in eating and then it blows out to twice the size in theyr'e belly ...

Or you could do like i used to and "PRE -SOAK " yer Hakari untill its full blown , then not only can it be eaten easily buy the sifters , its reached

its expansion capacity and can do no harm ... However , my preference for Geo's is flake - frozen / live Brine - and ocassional blood worm ...

and be generous , These yanks can eat like Grummy on a day with not much to do ... ;)

Oh and you can mix as many variants as you like ... they aren't stupid they do know who is theyr'e own variety ...

Remember theyr'e eyesight is twice ours , and at least 8 times Japes's ...