Lucifer

ID this Geo

Hey guys

Bought this Geo from one of the forum members yesterday.

It was sold to me as a brachybranchus but one of the other forum members mentioned that it may not be this species.

I don't care what species it is, he is a nice looking fish no matter what. Just wondered out of curiousity. Anyone who has an idea please let me know. I have a few suspicions but would like to hear other peoples opinions as I am new to keeping Geo's.

post-1343-1471162330406_thumb.jpg

Need a better pic to tell properly, I would lean to Rio Branco & not brachybranchus on that shot alone.Mostly would need a shot of the gill tic in front of the gill cover, brachy's have it & branco's don't. & the original fish in question on the mfk thread on page 1 isn't a brachy either.

Cheers Brian

Similar prob here. Sold to me as a surimanensis but looks nothing like the suraminensis in Smiths. This is an old pic and the fish now is what I would liken to "electric blue/green" It's spots and "lipstick" are almost flouro and it now has more red flecks with trailing dorsal, anal and tail.

kev

geo900.jpg

Just clear up a couple of misconceptions

Double lateral spotting isn't species specific. I've seen altifrons, Pindare, brachys and heckelii with it. IMO these fish should not be bred... if they need to be used in some circumstances (rare species etc) any two spotted fry should be culled at 5-6cm when they show the double spotting. I've culled 50% of fry at times, although the single spotted fry may carry the double spotted trait. If we keep doing this there will be a reduction in double spotting.

Both Brachys and Rio Brancos have the black preopercular mark (tick infront of the gill cover)

Brachys and Rio Brancos are very similar and the easiest way to distinguish between them is lateral barring and lateral spotting. This was all on the eartheaters website, which will be back online bigger and better soon(ish).

Nice brachy bidkev.

Edited by ozarowana
wording

Ahh okay, last time I did any research on geos it was brachys & dicrosters ( & maybe agyro's) were the main 1's in oz with preopercular mark. Things change big time in a year & a half. Thanks for the lesson, I'm looking forward to the eartheaters site to come back.

Cheers Brian.