briztoon

Looking for advice.

I'm looking to buy a 4 foot by 2 foot tank and stand new, and there would be two 2 foot by 18 inch tanks set up underneath. I would prefer the 4 foot tank to have 10mm thick glass.

What I'd like to know is what type of price I should be looking at paying.

I don't know if I should be going a pine/wood stand or a steel stand.

If there is anyone here who makes tanks or stands I'b be interested in talking to them as I'd prefer to support an enthusiast.

Aquariums R Us have pretty good prices, but I can't find anything on thier web site to tell me the glass thickness. But I leary of them, becuase of the negative responses on here from some members.

Or if your an Aquarium shop or know of one that you can recommend with competitive prices you can PM me.

Finally does anyone know of any QLD or Australian online Aquarium Stores for equipment.

I've got 2 tanks from aquariums r us, one off the shelf and one custom.

Solid as, well made, no complaints, would be great if the edges were beveled but this would cost more.

You get what you pay for with cabinets, aquariums r us are great for raw pine cabinets and a DIY stain and lacquer. Custom high quality display cabinets would cost a lot more.

most retail shops get there tanks from a builder (ArU) and put a margain on it.. hence why u pay more... if u can manage to go direct to a builder it will be cheaper.. problem is the 2 people i know that build excellenct quality only sell to retailers, so u may have to settle for less quality or find a shop that puts a cheap margin on good tanks.

if its really cheap tanks ur after i would suggest Ed williams from caboolture same quality as aquariums are us.. minus the razor blade edges.

GS: are u kidding me

would be great if the edges were beveled but this would cost more.

ur putting a price on someones health and safety!

beavling an edge of glass COST U NOTHING! not even 2 minutes of labour!

oh yes! understandable.. that is a very very nice finish.. cant say ive seen that sort of finish very often.. although the chinese flatpacks u can get for around $7 Aud are machine bevled..

the prob is the extreme sound it makes.. hence why a residential w/s ( aquariums r us) cant do it.

possible the other shop, but not too sure.

G'day,

I've had a 4x2x2 from ArU and it was solidly built... apart from the edges as previously mentioned which if you wanted you could probably smooth off yourself. I really like their cabinets too...

Also i've just bought a second hand tank that was made by Aquarium Warehouse... all edges are bevelled at 45 degree! Not sure how much they charge new though.

Cheers

Damo

All of Aquariums r us tanks that are 2 foot deep and high are made of 10mm glass. I am currentely running about 15 of their tanks from 2x18 upto 6x2 and have never had a problem with a single one. Whilst the edges may not have the best finish i am yet to cut myself on any of their tanks. Also if this tank is not for display i know he can get, at times, tinted glass for the smaller ones and laminate for the bigger ones which will greatly reduce the cost whilst you still get a clear viewing panel at the front. I paid $35ea for some 2x18 with 3 slightly tinted sides and one clear viewing panel and the 4x2s i got were made out of laminate and only cost me $170ea

Wouldn't recommend Ed for anything bigger than 3 foot breeding tanks, I definitely wouldn't trust them.

My 48x24x28 is from ARU and only has 10mm glass, would have preferred 12mm glass but no problems as of yet and I'm very happy with the quality considering the price. I don't have trouble with the edges of the tank itself but the lids are rubbish, I broke two of them which had crappy edges anyway, and I consider the ones I cut myself much higher quality :P

I went out to ARU today to have a look. The 4x2x2 tanks did look pretty good. The edges are a little rough, but you wouldn't cut yourself on them.

However the tanks have glass lips that run round the whole of the inside of the tank. And the lids don't have a cut out area that would suit a canister filters intake and return hoses.

I will have to go and check out Aquarium Warehouse on my next RDO's in a fortnights time.

Next question is about the pine stands. I'm totally inept when ito comes being a handyman. So what type of paint should I be looking at to paint the hood and cabinet so they are a little more water resistant.

Finally, how hard would it be to mount a light fixture inside on the slopping pine hoods?