GS

How much food do fish really need

(I think) I did the right thing before going on a 2.5 week holiday.

- Numerous water changes before I went away.

- Timers on the lights.

- Automatic feeders set up.

- Filters and heater checked.

- Water tested before I went away.

- No one arranged to check on the fish.

- Fingers crossed and prayers.

Came back home

- Feeders did not work, still full of food, clogged up from increased humidity from being located above the water.

- No fish dead, all happy.

- Water crystal clear.

- Very happy even though a little surprised that they had done so well with out food.

Hence the question, how much food do fish really need?

GS

Wow, almost exact same thing happened to me. I was gone one and a half weeks and I think they just get agro. A few torn fins but they coped.

I think they can handle the one extended period of no food, with increased aggression being the only immediate effect.

However if there food is cut back periodically I think their general well being suffers greatly.

i leave my fish without food for 4 day weekends all the time, they cope very well,

i would have no problem leaving them for a week,

i feed my fish once a day, and some like the fronts i feed only every two days

fry i feed twice a day ( and do extra water changes)

only fish i lost while away was young alto comp fry on a 4 day weekend

Well we all know that any female mouth brooder wont eat when she has a mouth full and that can be up to 3 weeks so going away for 2 week wont do them any real harm....

But yes you did the right thing with the water changes and making sure all your hardware was in good working order, apart from the feeder.

cheers

Yeah i like feed my fish everyday, just incase the snook gets hungry and sees my archerfish as food as he's only small at the moment. But before i had him i went away for a week and a half and the tank was fine.

Cheers,

Rusty