Teacherman

pvc pipe filter instructions

Hi all,

Someone had instruction s for making an external canister-type filter out of pvc pipe. One end was glued on, the other a screw off, with poly fittings to and from the tank. Powered by a power filter in tank, and returning to tank.

Where has it gone? I was gonna make 2 this week!

There was photos of it in action on a 3 foot tank,

and the person who made it had the bits donated.

Adam

I made a PVC filter based ont he design I found on this forum. It isn't very big, but I use it to filter my pond (a big one too!) and it works a treat ! The water is always crystal clear...kudos for the designer !

The jimbozed one is the one.

I used rubber grommets and normal 13 mm poly pipe for irrigation joiners to go through the 100mm drainpipe. The grommets were from a hydroponics store in D-Bay.

Estimated costings:

100mm PVC pipe, free

end cap - just under 5 bucks

threaded end cap- just over 5 bucks

lid bit for the threaded end cap, around 5 bucks

primer for joining pvc (potable, so you can drink it) free (school had it)

the contact adhesive stuff that melts pvc together- the pressure handling one (green, not blue) 5.70.

grommets 60 c each

13 mm retic joiners/ elbows around 50 c

So I have all the stuff for 2 "canister" style filters for under 40 bucks. BEAT THAT!!!!!!!

I am contemplating putting bioballs at the bottom, topped with ceramic noodles, topped with fine filter wool, then a bag of carbon on top. I will use the same for my marine tabk (when I get it going) but with coral rubble in place of noodles.

Whaddyareckon?

ok. Was thinking of that. Perhaps put some sponge at the bottom? mostly to stop inlet clogging up- it will be hard to get to once established.

Where for those prices on rubble?

One layer of bioballs at the bottom will stop the inlet clogging up, as per your first idea. :wink:

And I'm thinking thread tape for the leak.

OH NO!!!!

It leaks from the threaded lid part. It has an O ring in the lid, but still leaks under pressure. Perhaps the 1200 litre pump is too much?

Any advice????

i found this a few times

get some fine sandpaper and clean the top of the screw connector so its smooth

also put a little cookin oil on the o-ring and thread before you tighten it down

see how ya go

thread tape helps, but still leaks, albeit much more slowly.

Might have to resort to sandpaper and or oil. I thought that oil was bad for rubber- causes it to deteriorate? Well at least that's what it says on condom instructions....

That's good to hear but Geez mate, a roll of plumbers tape every time you go to clean it??? :o

Is it feasible to review the o-ring with a different one? Surely an ideally sized and well-fitting o-ring wouldn't let any water through?

I'm not sure on the fluid dynamics but three of my canister filters drip water if I turn them upside down. If placed correct way up there's no leaks at all. Obviously they're designed for the purpose I guess but I can't think why yours needs a roll of tape to seal it other than an ill fitting o-ring.

Any chance you can take a photo if it (God forbid) leaks again?

$2 for 2 rolls from crazy clarks- Thats 2 cleans each (for 2 filters) once every six months or so... I think the school budget can stretch that far.

I'm a bit embarrassed to take a photo- you should see the red primer and green crap all over the outside of the pipe! I guess thats what happens when you let year 11's do a job for you...

Adam