Grimace

Loosing Bristlenose :(

I hope someone can help me answer the mysterious deaths of my bristle nose :(

About 2 months ago, I lost my only bristle nose, she was a large female and was living seemingly happily with my colony of Mbamba, and cuckoo cats.

I had brown fine gravel substrate at the time, which was recently changed to a fine black & white cichlid substrate.

About three weeks ago I picked up four bristlenose from a forum member and after just two weeks, I discovered one large female dead :(

I was curious at the time but as this is two large female bristlenose, and water test showing nil results, I put it down to possibly just being bad luck and old age that claimed them.

BUT this morning I woke up to discover yet another small female dead (just one week afetr discovering the last female). Now I have two males left and I really dont want them having the same faint as their female mates.

So what is wrong? I have kept many different bristlenose sucessfully in the past all with a very wide range of tank mates, I have only ever lost one bristle nose due to it wanting a holiday on the carpet.

All my water parmeters seem fine, no ammonia, no nitrite and <5ppm Nitrate. The PH is at 7.8, water temp approx 25degrees.

I have a log in the tank for them to chew on and I also feed cucumber all the time. The fish definately are not starving. I have some fake lava rocks that have recently been added (but I lost my first female before these were introduced).

Other then that my tanks pretty plain jane.

I thought maybe I had a bristlenose killing fish in my aquarium but I have watched them long enough and there has been no eye nipping or aggression towards them of any sort. So I have ruled that out.

All other fish in the aquarium are fine.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Grimace

mbamba murder things all the time

elongatus you see

This was my initial thoughts but I have watched them for hours and nothing.... Also the brislenose look healthy, no eyes nipped or missing fins???

If it is indeed the mbamba then I am going to have to let them go... or the two remaining bristlenose.

Fish behave different when no one is around, their not stupid, they know you are watching them ;)

Did the dead BNs have any marks on them?

Sneaky buggers!

I didn't take any notice of the first one, but I inspected the second one and it seemed fine. The third one this morning, I gave a good look over, both eyes intact, all fins complete, except maybe a few small nips from the tail. It cant have been dead for very long cause the fish were not picking at it (they probably thought it was still alive??), it looked alive to me, took me about 5 minutes to realise it was indeed dead :(

Well I just spent a whole lot of time watching the fish in stealth mode and I think I have a culprit....

The only fish that shows any aggresssion towards the remaining two male bristlenose is the one and only leleupi I have.

All other fish seem rather peiceful, except the male demasoni who hassles the two female dems every now and then (even still he is pretty peiceful).

Could it possibly be due to this single leleupi?? and If so is it stress causeing the BNs to die, cause they certainly dont seem to be beat up.

Cheers

Grimace

Well I just spent a whole lot of time watching the fish in stealth mode and I think I have a culprit....

The only fish that shows any aggresssion towards the remaining two male bristlenose is the one and only leleupi I have.

All other fish seem rather peiceful, except the male demasoni who hassles the two female dems every now and then (even still he is pretty peiceful).

Could it possibly be due to this single leleupi?? and If so is it stress causeing the BNs to die, cause they certainly dont seem to be beat up.

Cheers

Grimace

Demasoni is a very aggressive fish when they breed so could be the Demasoni. Cheers

Hmm the dem has only ever chased the females and they are the smallest fish in my tank at 4cm. I think they are rather peiceful to be honest.

If it can't be the leleupi then I doubt very much it is even from another tank mate, they just dont argue that much (if at all).

I don't know what to do from here, I really want to have 4 or 5 bristlenose along with these fish when I get the 8ft'er up and running. But obviously loosing fish is not on my to do list.

I have never had a problem like this before, I have had some really od tank mates in the past years of fish keeping, so I guess I am a real noob at the moment!

Well again thanks for all the replys, it helps to get all forms of advice.

I have hiding holes for the bristlenose, which includes two breeding logs as well as numerous other rock hiding places.

Damn leleupi, I will get him out of the equation and see how I go. Anyone like a leleupi going cheap! :)