Has anyone had these before?

I seen some today in a LFS and they look interesting. They didn't have the scientific name listed and I forgot to ask but I think they may have been either Homaloptera tweediei or Homaloptera smithi. That's just a guess by looking at the pics on www.loaches.com

Thanks

Jenny

I did look at that pic and the ones in the shop were different pattern with a flatter head and body. They reminded me of my little common whiptail with out the long tail and they had more fins on the sides, oh and darker. :D But that's all from memory and that's not the most reliable thing lately :lol:

They would be Homaloptera Tweedii which are imported and not aquarium bred -they are a Hillstream Loach which prefer cooler temps, high Oxygen levels and are best kept in a high flow "River Tank System".

They are imported into Aus pretty often as well as Homaloptera orthogoniata (saddleback loach) but I have never seen Smithii in Aus.

Ideal tankmates would be Borneo Suckers (Gastromyzon/Neogastromyzon/Pseudogastromyzon) and Sewellia Linealata if AQIS ever let them in the country

Loaches have got quite a raw deal from AQIS with many still to be evaluated for importation .

Cheers Graeme.

i kept a couple of them in a 2x18x18 with a chiller due to their sensitivity to hot weather. they are really cool fish and love to sit in front of the power head. mine got to about 7cm and then i sold them. i had marbled lizards which have darker bands and blotches on them. didnt know there were different sp.