My girlfriends bullrout passed away this morning, due to an infection that seems to pop up in her tank only.

R.I.P Winston.

In an attempt to move him to a hospital tank, to treat him, he managed to hit me.

I must say that it was one hell of an experience.

Anyone else got bullrout tails of pain and heartache.

Hi mate,

I don't have a bullrout tale, but certainly one that is related. I grew up in country Qld, and when I was a little tacker in the mid 70's we used to spend a lot of time in the great outdoors. Once we were fishing in the river outside Charleville and I had just caught a very small dewfish (Tandanus tandanus) on a handline. Together with the fish, I managed to drag in a large twiggy branch and a huge tangle of line.

While my Dad was trying to unhook the fish from the mess, it managed to flip around and spike him with one of its pectoral spines. It pierced the fleshy part of his palm near the knuckle of his index finger. He was in excruciating pain and his hand became very swollen, and he bled like a stuck pig. Funny thing is that it was my first ever fish and now 30 years later we can both laugh about it as a significant (if not so enjoyable at the time) memory together.

As long as we are on fish injury, I have 2 tales. First jewie I ever caught was at yamba breakwall, when we called it quits I decided to pick it up by it's gills (completley oblivious) for the long walk back. I put my fingers in waaaay to deep, Any mulloway fisho knows what a mistake doing that is :P

Second injury was a stingray spine to the calf. I was wading through a beach mouth and stepped on it by accident. That one hurt bad.

I copped a happy moment down the front of me shirt and it flipped all the way down.

Seemed funny to those watching.

They sting pretty bad, I had them in a tank when I was 8 and one got me...........

There's some nasty stuffy in the water ways near colleges crossing and one of the outdoor education facilities had some school walking through the shallow creek beds where they stood on some kind of stone fish which the only cure/prevention is to kill the toxins by placing the foot in boiling water. Also did a study on box jellyfish and the irukandji jellyfish and the symptoms and pain casualties go through with a sting from them. But there must be owners of lion fish that have pumped against them while cleaning the tank.

Ive seen first hand how bad a bullrout sting can be ,I was a professional fisherman for 10 odd years workin out of richmond river ballina and we come across plenty of the suckers i seen plenty big strong blokes with their whole arms swollen up black like a balloon and in a throbbing load of pain i was lucky in my years i brushed one which bleed me a little but didnt cope a decent hit , Hot hot water was the go for on the spot relief just put ya hand straight in , only way we used to handle them getting them out of the nets was to give them a decent few blows with a paddle untill ya know their stunned and thumb straight in the mouth clamping on the bottom lip , me old man who copped numerous stings from just about everything in his career always said if ya get a good bullrout hit best thing go straight to hospital and go to sleep for a few hours and if dont ya havent been hit properly

on a side not i still remember as a kid dad ringing up getting mum to make urgent doctors appointment dad coming straight off the boat with a bloody large salmon tail (we called them dog fish) spike snapped off straight down behind his nail on his thumb ooch

never been hit by any of them but had a few close calls when fishing around ballina and yamba. Seen the pain people go through though when they have been hit. Not something i would wish on a person.

There are some nasty nausea water way over near the university and an outdoor education facilities in some schools to go Shallow Creek bed, they stood a stone fish only treatment / prevention is to kill the toxins through the feet in the boiling Water.

I once saw a guy get hit on the ring finger. We had to cut the ring off his finger so the flesh didn't split. He swelled like a balloon above and below the ring and the pain must have been something else. Glad it wasn't me and i learnt by his mistake.

Yesterday I did some freshwater fishing in a private dam and one of my companions caught a big Tandanus tandanus. It was sitting in an "Environet" landing net for hook removal, when a vigorous tail flick made the net brush against my leg. The tip of the dorsal spine poked through the net and punctured the skin on my left knee.

I am very fortunate I was spiked right on the edge of the joint, where the bone is barely covered by flesh. The wound bled quite profusely (until I pressed my thumb over the puncture for a couple of minutes) but I am very lucky that the pain was quite mild. It felt a little like a bee sting for a couple of minutes and the puncture site swelled into a lump about the diameter of a ten cent piece, but other than that I got away with it... PHEW! Now, the next day, the swelling is gone, the puncture site has a small red mark and feels like a mild bruise. Sadly, I didn't get any photos of the incident or wound :(

Could have been much worse...

On the Tandanus tandanus or freshwater jewfish topic they carry an atidote for the toxin aswell. Was told about it while up in north Qld by some very old traditional people. If you are spined by one collect some of the slime coat from their underbelly and apply to the spined area, almost all pain and swelling will disapate within a few minutes.

I have not had the oportunity to try it myself but also not looking to conduct an experiment .

Yeah that is said to be true for a few different poisonous fishies. To be honest with you, I was thinking this may have been the reason for my relatively mild and short-lived pain. The fingers of my left hand were quite slimy from touching the fish while de-hooking, and it was a slimy finger on my left hand I used to apply pressure to stop the bleeding. :)

:twisted: Are you volunteering to be our test subject ? lol

Glad you didn't suffer to greatly :egrin:

not putting my hand up to intentionally inflict another spiking... but if it does happen I will gladly smother it with lovely catfish slime :) (and of course I will let you know the result) ;)

Well I can say my new Bull has also hit me when I was shuffling the tank furniture around.
I don't think I'll ever learn.

On 12/10/2010 at 10:19 AM, Jeremy3057 said:

It's a hell of an experience to get hit by one.

I'm glad I got to experience it but I would never do it again.

Have been well stuck by a few big Flathead in the kayak, as I don't usually catch anything I don't have a net, have pulled a good sized flattie up, didn't think it through got it in the craft and been Gill raked from knee to foot,  those things can cut like a knife and hurt like hell!!  More blood was coming from me than the fish.....  Not ideal in a kayak,

You should try getting stung by one of my wasps, they are also a scorpion fish and more powerful then a stone fish sting, quite potentially fatale. See it could be worse, lol

2QzIr9H.jpg