computerman

BN breeding cave/log size

I have been talking to one of my lfs's and they said that the reason my male keeps kicking the eggs out on the 5th day is the log is too large!!???

So I've now ionvested in some small ones, however, the breeding pair can barely get into the log!

Is there any truth to this or have the done a good job in selling some small logs to me?

When they were breeding in the large log there was room for both of them in there at the same time with a little squeezing, but these logs, I thought the male was stuck for a couple of hours, as it seems that tight a fit!

Any advice appreicated

Regards

Marc

in my opinion they prefer tight sizes too large doesnt make them feel comfortable

as to why they kick the eggs out thats a good question with a hundred diff possibilities I personally dont beleive the log causes them to kick them out (I might be wrong though)

I always try to give the fish a few diff sizes and types to choose, saying that just about all the time they end up in the small size ceramic log.

I have seen b/noses lay eggs and raise fry in a completely bare tank no gravel log or anything to hide in.

give em a couple of sizes theyll pick the one that suits them and see what happens, my orange spots used to kick the eggs out but have grown out of that problem

peter

hey mate well i always use a tight fitting cave, if the male can fit in it and actually go in it then its fine.

bigger ones do work but i have found all bn prefer the tighter ones.

he is getting practice with the eggs, eventually he wont kick them out.

after 5 days they should be wigglers anyway or very close to it so if he does kick them up scoop them up and put them in a breeders net and they should be fine.

brad.

hey mate well i always use a tight fitting cave, if the male can fit in it and actually go in it then its fine.

bigger ones do work but i have found all bn prefer the tighter ones.

he is getting practice with the eggs, eventually he wont kick them out.

after 5 days they should be wigglers anyway or very close to it so if he does kick them up scoop them up and put them in a breeders net and they should be fine.

brad.

How long should I leave the eggs with him before I scoop them out?

Regards

Marc