Guest SFJ

breeding?

Great water conditions, nicely setup tank with plenty of caves, good quality food to condition them and having a good male to female ratio. Having breeding size fish helps to, frontosa take ages to reach sexual maturity.

Alot of the "fools" that write articles that appear on google are greatly knowledgable on such topics...

water i getting a good change tomoz. i dont have to many caves, ill put more in tomoz. i feed them hikari excel sinking cichlid pellet. i was feeding gudgeons bought from LFS but got a bacterial infection....used 250ml of seachem stability, seems to be all good. nitrites 0.25 , nitrates0.25, amonia 0, ph 7.8 all good. 1 male 30cm. 1 female 25cm, other one im assuming male cos i extra larger hump. but still gotta sex. yeh im looking for more females atm but they are so hard to find. plus my tank is 4x2x2 so i dont want to over crowd.

nah theres alot of shit on google. like alot. i found 2 good articles out of bout 50.

hahah good one mate. havent seen that before! im looking for more personal stuff. not an article some fool wrote.

That's really disrespectful to the authors of many of the articles in that link. There are quite a few respected sites listed on that first page. Spending a couple of hours reading articles that answer your question can only be beneficial.

So far the only thing foolish I have read, is quoted above.

Briztoon. Your no help if you didn't like hat I said just keep to yourself. Your probably one o those breeders that think they are hell better then everyone. Next time use some input that's gunna help.

Daci that's helps heaps! Thank you! I'll get a pot or 2 this arvo. Cheers!

www.cyphos.com is the Bible of fontosa keeping.

www.frontosa.com.au is a great local forum.

Literally hours of reading, not just on breeding, but everything else you can think of about fronnies.

More females of appropriate age (2+years) would definitely help you as you already mentioned (male needs to be 3-4 years). Low light works for my colony as too does quality food (eg NLS / Brine or Mysis shrimp treat now and then), have one or two days when there is no feeding, consistent water paremeters and regular water changes. They breed when they're ready unfortunately.

Some suggest low water current rather than too strong also has a bearing.

Edited by Peter
keep thinking of things to add :)

Thanks mate I'll read up more. I have noticed my male showing more attention to the female. From what it looks like he keeps trying to get her into a cave in the tank. It's weird but I'm still learning. Thanks for the positive feed back! :)