Grumundi

Crayfish health transport

Hey guys,

I got a boat running trips upto the islands, now I have a 3000 litre tank on-board, which we stock with about 200-300 crays in individual baskets.

Now I have a heat exchanger running with ocean water to keep the tank at around 24 degrees, and a large pump just turning over the sea water and running it through abit of sponge to take out some of the waste.

I cannot change the water, as where they are caught differs from bay to bay on the way back (I could not teach one of these guys to test the water, so not an option really).

My question is do you think running the water through a filter just packed with purigen would take alot of the bad guys out, and how much would I need.

its a 3 day trip, and we lost the last lot due to I think heat, but also the water was pretty foul, (Could be decaying bodies in the heat that made it worse aswell.

So purigen safe to use on crays for humans to eat? and how much to work as a filter for 3 days on 300 live crays?

Cheers,

Grum.

Hey Grum,

I haven't got direct answers for your questions. My fiance's aunt just sold her cray business (shipping out of TI for export from Cairns), they're in Japan at the moment but next time I see her I'll try to remember to ask if they had experience with long transport before the crays were brought back to Cairns and how they went about it on the boats in TI.

Kristy

Thanks mate, from what I can find alot just recycle the seawater, problem with that is here there are alot of freshwater rivers running in around the island, and the PH and salinity can be vastly different as you travel back, which I think would put more stress on them.

hey Grum,

have you considered using clove oil to sedate the crays so they are less stressed and produce less toxins into the water? just a suggestion.

also what about using amonia pads in the filtration chamber to reduce your ammonia levels?

cheers,

dan