i Have (Had) 4 banded leps i done a 25% water change and they all died i had them in with black ghost lancer catfish and plecs of course but they all died i test all the water for ammonia nitrite and nitrate ph all was good the leps were the only thing in the tank that died any idears???? :cry:

there might have been something in the new water

i am not having a go at you but why do people always blame Bays i worked there for quiet a few yrs and i could not see anythings wrong with there fish or the way they keep them

i have had this problem happen to me before and i couldn't work out why

could there have been a chemical resdue on something u used ?

a big temperature difference between the tank and the new water?

could you have been adding too many chemicals at one go? chemical shock?

sometimes you need to be careful what day you do a water change as councils do treat there water on certain days of the week so sometimes more then the recomended dosage rate of chlorine elim or water conditioner is needed

i was not blaming bay fish i was seeing if it may have been them i wanted to know from someone if they new how the fish were looked after thats all. i put half a does of mela and prima in all the time just to be safe i am always getting new fish and i use the same net and eveyting for each tank its just a safty percoution thats all no need for it exept to put slim coating back on fish just to be shore

thanks for imput on bay its good to no

mate,

we are all here to help each other,

u use the same net my advise go buy some "netsan" to soak your net in that will stop the spread of dieases from tank to tank

and i would only use stress coat to maintain a good slim coat some water conditions also to the same.

as for just putting in pima and mel "just in case" these are a medication and too me should only be used if there is a problem not just because you think its good for " just in case"

and as you are getting new fish all the time my suggestion is make up a quarintee/hospitial tank and put them in there for a week or so before putting in the main tank this has saved me alot of money

what water ph did the leps come from. I think you may be adding to much stuff to your water. Plus your story to me is all over the shop. First you add pemafix & melafix as a precaution, then only when fish looked sick.... Now your also telling us in your post that you add ph down and balck water extract as well.

What is your ph normally at?

There is a chance your fish could of been sick. We can't tell that. if you work in a lfs, then spotting fishes for diseases should be a priority when fish come into the store. How long were the fish in the lfs for?

Frenchy :D

i add mels norm once every month i added more when there was a prob the ph from work is high all the tanks are high my than is at 6ish. the fish were at work for only one week, there were no markings no nothing they were in grate condition from how they looked and i done every test uder the sun al was fine maybe a tiny bit of nitrate very little but

i no you need nitrate but sky hight nitrate can kil all i was saying was it wasnot high enough to kill, they just went to bottom of tank and next min died thats it it was wird how they died and black ghost and lancer didnt i have hared of a person who got fish from bay and they died after 2 months he is in legal battle wit them he got them checked but vet and was bas foult

Your right if it doesn't matter. But members here won't answer your post as you haven't made sense at all. So I would be worried, as you can't explain the deaths you have had. Chances are with no lessons learned you will make the same mistake.

Just a tip for next time...you say you work in a lfs, correct? Now this was your first post on this matter.

Now if you had a customer come into your store & just say this...

i Have (Had) 4 banded leps i done a 25% water change and they all died i had them in with black ghost lancer catfish and plecs of course but they all died i test all the water for ammonia nitrite and nitrate ph all was good the leps were the only thing in the tank that died any idears???? :cry:

What answer would you have given if that was a customer?

Frenchy :D

Ok fisrt things first banded leps are a highly teritorial fish that will harras each other, grow quite large, require a diet high in algae and spirulina. ph no higher than 6.5.

Don't ever add melafix and pimafix unless the problem is their and these are only good for external problems like finrot, ulcers and the likes. Any medication added once a month even as a precaution will become useless in your tanks as the disease and parasites become ammuned to it.

These fish are also not recomended for the beginner as they can be fidlly with water quality.

Secondly what size tank and filtration. This will make a big difference at water change time. Also plecos and black lancer can handle greater variations in the water. Were the leps eating did you ever see them this is another problem for these fish and will often starve to death. I would have only used blackwater conditioner as using ph down at the same time will make the ph crash once again it will affect the leps first. when a ph crashes it will rise again the next day if there is nothing to keep it low so unless you tested straight after you added the chemicals you would not have had a true reading.

Also what were the furnishings like in the tank this can also help to find out what problems may have occured.

Please if you have had a problem more details on the tank and furnishings is helpful also any additives you may have used, from the start of the post will help clear up any confusions.

I know they are agressive fish i had tem in there to grow up, they were eating spiralina flakes everyday i would feed them and watch them eat the tank has fake cave, real weed, and roaks alittle bit of wood for pleco they were on a low ph tested every 3rd day, as our town water is bad sometimes so i test eveything every second day, i know alot of people that add mela and prima all the time the fish person at my work recommends it and i ahve heard the rep recommend it and she is a wizz at fish a very rare kind(not to say your not good at it), Black ghosts are very fidlly y was he not effected this is wht i dont understnd?? thats y i fisrst thought it was the fish

Personally I would listen to your gut. As you said the rep and shop owner it all adds up to sales. But I wouldnt really know after 30 years of keeping fish. Lets just say it would be like taking antibiotics just in case you got sick. After a while they don't work and build up in your system causing you problems see my point.