Sign in to follow this  
gtr73

Repairing a minor leak - best method?

I want to repair a small leak on an old tank - what's the best method?

Recently I fixed a new tank successfully, I simply reapplied the Selleys stuff over the top of the manufacturer's silicon (after discussing with the maker over the phone) and that did the trick no problem.

However for this old tank I was thinking of first removing the original silicon entirely from all the inner corners, then reapply new silicon to those crevices.

Is this the best way?

What's the best tool/method to remove the old silicon?

Should I just use the Selleys Aquarium Safe Silicon or is there a more structurally safe brand to use?

Thanks.

If it's only a 2fter I would use a razor blade or stanley knife to remove the silicon. You must remove all of it thoroughly though to ensure the new silicon's integrity. There is as silcon remover product (go to hardware store / tile shop etc) but for a one off 2fter it's probably not economical given you can buy new 2fters for 15 - 30 dollars anyway.

As for what silicon to buy - acetic cure type. - I would just go to an LFS and they should have it or do a price comparison elsewhere. Smiths had big tubes of the Selly's product on its shelf.

I have another leaking 2fter here you can practise on if you want :)

Good luck.

We just scrap off the old silicone with a sharp stanely blade. You have to get as much off as possible or the new silicone wont adhered and you will end up with a leak again. Make sure not to remove the silcone from the joint between the two pieces of glass.

Carl usually wipes down the clean area with some turps or metho.... I can't remember what it is and the label gone off the bottle. That just to get and left over residue of the glass.

If it's just the seal the selleys should be fine. Depending on how fussy you are you can tape the edges up and make it nice and neat. Just remember to remove the tape before the silicone sets. Or just apply it and smooth out with your finger or a coin.

Turps can damage silicone, and can leave an oily film. Metho is the best fro cleaning the glass b4 resealing. I'd just cut away the old bead with a sharp knife, then using a scrapper try to remove as much of the old silicone off the glass, trying not to go between the sheets of glass. Give it a good clean with metho and a clean rag. Let the metho dry then put a small bead back in the corner. If you dip your finger in soapy water b4 smoothing the silicone you get a better finnish and fingers stay cleaner.

Good luck

Matt

the thing with metho is that it leaves a residue so i would reccomend the wax on wax off method with it. we use all these chemicals to clean silicone we use to seal caravans, and i would say clean the glass with metho, remember to clean off the residue. if you can get it use isopropyl alcohol as its not quite so bad. its really the same stuff without one chemical added *its like they put detergent in ammonia* as for structural silicone i reccoment the GE one. anyhows let us all know how u fared maybe pics of the repair?

Sign in to follow this