djdl

Tank Refurbishment

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a tank stand, which was in danger of collapsing, and I've just got to the stage of putting it all back together i.e. the stand is built and finished and I've just put the tank back on and refilled it.

Basically my tank has been sitting empty for about 4 weeks, bar about 2 inches of water in the bottom and some gravel. The remainder of my gravel I've had sitting in a bucket. My fish have all been in a spare tank for about the last 6 weeks or so.

Anyways, I was wondering how I should go about ensuring the water quality in the new set up is ok before I transfer the fish back.

What I'm thinking is this:-

Today, added all the gravel and filled the tank with fresh water. I have a canister filter running on it, which was brought straight over from a cycled tank. It's been on that tank for about 6 months.

On Friday I plan on doing a 30-50% water change

On Monday I plan on doing the same.

Then on Wednesday I plan on emptying about 60% of the water and syphoning water across from the hospital tank I have the fish in, then adding say 20% fresh water on top, and then switching the fish back.

How does all that sound?

I can't wait to get it done. The new setup is looking spectacular, and the fish are on tenterhooks waiting to breed. I'm hopeful of some good action once they are back and settled.

You've done the right thing by keeping that canister with the same fish going the whole time. Just need to keep it established.

As you no doubt know, basically your canister will have the majority of the beneficial bacteria needed to quickly cycle your newly redone tank. But my only concern is you need to preserve that colony of beneficial bacteria and preserve the cycle.

No fish and changing out water may breakdown some of that bacteria needed.

Just my thoughts but you might be better transferring the old water and your fish from the hospital tank sooner rather than later, to keep that "fishload" and cycle going in the new tank and filter.

If you don't feed them the first day or so, then go light on the feeding for the next couple of weeks, I can't see a drama.

You've likely lost some of beneficial bacteria from the gravel and tank surfaces, hence go lightly on feeding. Any rocks or gravel from the hospital tank? If preserved from the hospital tank then even better.

Thanks for that. I was going to wait till next week as I want to redo all the rock in the tank as well. I'll have to see if I can get onto it sooner rather than later.

Failing that, if I just leave the new tank as it is and then once I have the rock set up I transfer water from my hospital tank over to the new one, with say 25% fresh on top would that be ok?

Thanks again.