hey guys just wondering about the pros/cons of

waiting 3-4 weeks and milking babies

or milking the eggs after a couple of days and tumbling

what has a better succses rate etc?

cheers

Edited by bisqotti

just put her in a fry net on roughly the 12th day

I usually milk my females between 3 - 7 days after spawning, however not long ago I thought I would let the female try raising them herself and put her in a fry net. After about 2 days she had stressed out so much in the net that she had pretty much warn her bottom lip right down from rubbing against the net trying to get out. From then on I have always milked them as they seem much happier.

Yeah, it really sucks when you try and do the right thing by them but it actually turns out worse. Oh well, she soon recovered and seems ok with my milking her almost to the point that she will swim into the net and open her mouth for me hahahaha.

if you can let nature take it course then it would be good as some said the fries will learn to hold to full term when their turn come!

as for me i milk them after two weeks coz i'm a impatient freak...

yeah well at the moment i watch my fish everyday and when i notice one is holding i usually wait 3 weeks or just before they are about to spit... might start milking eggs and tumbling

i normally wait until the colour change of there mouth which is a good sign the fry are big enough to free swim. i then strip the mum and stick her back in a seperate tank for 2 days to help her get her strenghth back then put her back in to breed again. normally they get back into it about 2-3 weeks later so it works out to be a month rotation each female for me as i normally have 3-4 females per 1 male.

I do much the same as adro . BUt a little different.

Leave it up till the end of the 3rd week or 4th week (you can see under there mouth change colour when fry hatch out of the eggs)

then i remove the female and put her in a 2ft tank on her own. ( 2ft tank is cycled previously with 2 sponge filters runing in it and cover for the fry when they are spat)

Leave her in there for her to spit them out in her own time .

Once fry are spat i then catch them put them in a fry saver, feed the female up for a few days so she is strong again then re introduce her back into the colony. Making sure that the period she is seperated on her own is not too long as if it is an extended period of time there can be fighting when she is reintroduced to the colony, due to her loosing her pecking order in the tank.

Once female is removed from 2ft tank and placed back with colony the fry can be released out into the 2ft tank they were spat in.

This eliminates having to move them into different tanks when they are only small fry. When the chances of shock are high.

My beliefs with doing it this way is that the fry learn from the mother, so in the long run it is probably more work but im trying to breed fish that will become good breeders themselves.