Chris G

Starting to breed, tips ??

Ok So i am about to set up my breeding tank its a 4 ft 15"(w) x 18"(H)

I am going to have 2 of the big 500litre sponge filters in there, to much never hurt right.

Do i need a light?

And what is hte optimal temp for them?

They are pindani's they have a couple mouthfuls at the moment it is 5F to 1 M

What is the best food ? i have 2 types of pellets at the moment, also have flakes but they dont seem to like them to much, and they like zucchini as well :)

Anything else?

I have a 2 ft tank for fry/grow out tank.

Cheers

I never use lights on my breeding tanks. Only have lights on if I need to be able to see clearly to monitor them (if you can see without lights then you dont need them).

ok firstly to set up a colony tank you will find it easier to keep the main tank water clean if you have at least a canister filter running on it.

Having the sponge filters will be benifical to an extent but they can only clean the water so much.

If you choose to run substrate calcium carb or crushed coral will be the way to go as it naturally buffers the kh and gh of the water for you.

Optimal temp will depend on what fish you wish to breed googleing this will return results pretty quick, it will also give you exact water perameters that you should be aiming for to obtain optimum breeding conditions.

For lighting you dont need massive high power lights on your tank just enough to light it up will do .

You also need light to check on the fish each day to make sure nothing is wrong with them.

Changing lighting patterns and amount of time is also needed for some cichlids to breed.

FOOD is really personal choice and what your budget can afford. But it is important to feed them a varied diet from differnt manufacturers.

Feeding frozen brine shrimp helps to condition the fish for breeding.

And last but not least i suggest you start looking for bigger fry grow out tanks. As the more room they have to grow the quicker they will grow.

Yer i have been to a couple peoples places and thats all they seem to be running, is that hte only hting you guys run? like you dont have a sump hooked up aswell or a canister or a small internal??

cheers guys

In my main colony tanks i run canisters.

Other people run sumps its a personal choice, my small fry tanks (2ft) run only 2 sponge filters per tank.

Larger fry tanks run canisters plus sponge filters. By no means was i underestimating sponge filters as i know how good they are I USE THEM ASWELL.

It was just my suggestion that you run larger filtration in your main colony tank / tanks. But it would appear that some people underestimate my inteligence and level of knowledge.

meh

I have cannisters on main breeders

and sump on growout

but have air powered sponges in everything as well

my tanks COULD run with just the airpowered filters

but I like to have backups on filtration as I am way heavy overstocked

and fishroom gets warm

I also dont underestimate.

I think you are confusing that with me being pretentious.

Thats just how I roll mate.

How I play the game.

Ostentatious to the end :)

tally ho!

haha ok cool well this is just 1 colony to start with as i have been banned from getting any more tanks otherwise i have to move out and im to poor for that haha. So i am just going to settle for hte one at the moment and will (when i have money) get a canister for it aswell :)

cheers guys