Teacherman

smoothing glass edges- an easier way...

Hi all,

It had been suggested to me that I should soften the sharp edges on my (Ed's) tanks, particularly since they're in a classroom full of inquisitive kiddies...

I had been told that a wet (or whet) stone, as used for knife sharpening would be suitable.

I happened to already own a eze-lap diamond sharpener for my fish hooks. Some of you may have them- the cheaper ones are flat, red, and about the size of a tongue depressor that the doctor uses, and has the grey diamond dust on one end.

This device took about 20 seconds to smooth off any edges!

Brilliant!

I simply used a sheet of Emery Paper (AKA Wet/Dry paper)

Like sandpaper but dark grey in colour and comes in different grades like sandpaper, I used 220 grade.

Didn't use a block or anything, just folded it a couple of times. Smoothed those sharp glass edges in no time - easy peasy. :D

Just make sure you sand at right angles to the edge, across it not along it. And sand at a 45 degree angle is best.

At Bunnings or any hardware, probably even at Big W too.

How do the professionals get those nice mitred edges on thick glass, like the 10 mm six footers I see in LFSs?

They use a large fixed belt sander with continous (circular belt) wet/dry paper and automatic water to cool and flush away the sand-grounds. It runs at a fast speed and takes a little practice to use well but it is pretty basic.

If you want some "cheap" mitred glass to make your own tank then go to Absoe Used Office equipment as they are willing to sell mitred glass cheaply (They make their own for retail shop shelves and various fittings). Good place for used lights and used PVC piping too.

yeah a hand belt sander is wat we use to do those hard to get places that the arasing machine cant get to just use a really

fine wet and dry belt and if any "glass" gets in the tank dont worry if u no wat glass is its only sand and ive sanded some of the edges

in my tanks when they were full and no effect to the fish or anything so go for it but if you want minimal mess use the Whet stone but us glaziers call it a hand stone yeah dosnt matter wat grit it is it does the same job