corny-ratbag

6ft x 2ft x 2.3ft tank build journal with custom stand and sump

After tipping it over we found that under neither had gone mouldy.

8d16dffa.jpg

So we cleaned it up and let it dry out before painting the entire thing in weather shield paint as it is mould and stain resistant.

9ee14266.jpg

It now looks as good as gold (well black) and ready to go with the new tank build :)

c9bb766a.jpg

Quick update

Radions tested and work awesome. Just need to build the hood and they will be ready to go.

4a993c21.jpg

We have bought the skimmer (skimz sm201) and set it up. We specifically choose this skimmer as it fit perfectly in the sump.

b7aa0f70.jpg

da5804e4.jpg

We later found out that we didn't take into account the size of the cup which we couldn't remove from the sump with the foam under it, so we had to use "workers mat" from clark rubber.

b35216d3.jpg

Edited by corny-ratbag

We moved the sump to the far end of the cabinet so that we can fit the chiller in at the open end. This meant to I had to re do the plumbing.

30aa25f8.jpg

c5344edb.jpg

cea75eeb.jpg

While I was at it, I added a one way valve so when the pump is turned off it is easier for the pump to start up again.

bd5adcec.jpg

Great looking set up there, I just bought a 6ft tank and will be setting it all up with a 3 or 4ft sump depending on which one fits in the stand.

I live in logan and was wondering where i can buy the media for the sump.

Fairly new to aquariums but definitely have the bug lol

Great looking set up there, I just bought a 6ft tank and will be setting it all up with a 3 or 4ft sump depending on which one fits in the stand.

I live in logan and was wondering where i can buy the media for the sump.

Fairly new to aquariums but definitely have the bug lol

Thanks :) When it comes to where to get media from it all depends on what you want to put in it. Generally I got most of my stuff from Redlands Pet Centre. It is located in Capalaba, however it is well and truely worth the drive from Egiht Mile Plains even to just pick up food! I got my matrix, purigen and sponges from there rather cheap.

What are you thinking of running in your sump?

For those interested, here is a video I just took of the tank. We have FINALLY got a proper frame for the lights. We now just need to clad it with laminate board and add some sliding doors :)

nice marine tank Ryan, makes a change from Africans, nice tank by the way also.

Cheers

Mike

it is slowly coming along, not up to the standard I want it yet

i do have to say I miss the simplicity of fresh water, marine is a lot of work hahaha

it is a nice tank indeed ;)

Sooo ... It has been a while since I have done an update so I thought I would do one now :)

This is the tank as of a fortnight ago

And it now ..... we have stripped it down and are turning it into a turtle tank!

post-2974-14711629936362_thumb.jpg

So everything has been stripped out and we are starting again! The old sump is up for sale (http://www.qldaf.com/forums/dry-goods-trader-13/sump-skimmer-filter-socks-99041/#post660406) and a new sump designed and should be ready this week! As it is a turtle tank, we need UV over the tank and we didn't want to part with the Radions for lighting so we have gone DIY again!

We bought a Hagen Glo DYI kit, 2 x Geisman reflectors and 2 x Arcadia D3 bulbs.

orv775.jpg

To hang the light we took the reflectors and attached some wire eye straps to each end of them. We off set them so that the light would tilt in towards the tank.

2rxihw1.jpg

23r0cg6.jpg

We then used the same system as we used with the Radions and hung them from the same rail. As we only have the new lights hanging from each end we will still be able to slide the Radions out of the way and the new lights will have a hook on on the top of the hood that we can place them on so they are out of the way.

wveuk8.jpg

Now we only need to cable manage it and it will look the piece :)

2j1muiv.jpg

Just waiting for the sump to be finished, then we can plumb the tank. Following that we will design and get the dock custom build out of acrylic and we will scape the tank :) If all goes well it should be pretty much finished and ready for the turtles in a fortnight :)

Edited by corny-ratbag