G'day guys,

Not being a great technical person, or one possessing much knowledge on where to pick up deals on aquarium equipment, I would like some help and advice.

In the near future I would like to set up a couple of new tanks. Right now I'm looking to source lights for these tanks. They will be planted, not heavily, with amazon swords and thin val. Tank lengths are likely to be 5 foot, 4 foot and 3 foot.

So what would be the appropriate type lights to use and where would I buy them. Oh, what type of prices will I be looking at.

Well on my 5 and 4 foot tanks I'm running the cheap SunSun lights from Guppy's.

These lights are T5HO which I believe are the current way to go. Height of your tank is the main factor as to how much you're going to need, for example I have 4x54W 10000K on my 4' and can't grow plants incredibly well because of the 28" height, my Swords are doing fine though (with Flourish Tabs as ferts). 5' is 18" high and is lit by a 4 foot 3x54W 10000K setup and plants are going nuts in there.

Prices for the lights above are $100-130 or so, which is definitely on the cheap side, but I hear that some people have problems. Expect to pay a lot more (can't quote you figures) on higher quality units from your LFS.

T5's are the go but still quite expensive. Sun Sun T5's are definately cheap but are not lasting. I bought 2 and both are faulty. I am having trouble getting warranties honoured. Seller (as previously named) is blaming wholesaler. Hagen make the best T5's but they are expensive. I believe Redlands Pet Centre sells them the cheapest but not sure on price.

I am still using Arcadia tubes in my older T8 lights. They do a great job. Seachem Flourish is definately the best fertiliser that I have used.

Hope this helps.