damo83

Straightening vinyl hose

G'day,

I set up my tank and sump over the weekend but my return pump is pumping too quick for the drains. I think this may be because the drain hoses are kind of kinked and squashed from the way they were packaged. The sticker on the hose said to soak in warm water to straighten. This worked for the 3/4" but not for the 1" hose.

Anyone got any tips on how to straighten/unsquash (don't think thats a word but you get the idea) the hose? Its clear vinyl hose that I bought from bunnings.

If all else fails I'll just hunt down some braided hose.

Thanks

Damo

Unless it's properly kinked or very close to it shouldn't be slowing down water flow; the clear plastic tubing from Bunnings kinks very easily though.

With that said I'm also after a solution to this problem. What I'm doing for 25mm piping is getting some stuff they have in the PVC section called 'Overflow tubing' It's thick rubber, ribbed and won't kink at all, i was bending it around in about a 10cm circle and it was perfect.

Unless it's properly kinked or very close to it shouldn't be slowing down water flow; the clear plastic tubing from Bunnings kinks very easily though.

With that said I'm also after a solution to this problem. What I'm doing for 25mm piping is getting some stuff they have in the PVC section called 'Overflow tubing' It's thick rubber, ribbed and won't kink at all, i was bending it around in about a 10cm circle and it was perfect.

It is fairly close to being kinked... i might try leaving the hose out in the sun tomorrow and see if that helps. If not i'll have a look at the "overflow tubing" you mentioned.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I tried the broom handle last night and it helped a bit. The tube is still quite flat instead of round but the flow is better and the water level in the main tank stops and maintains a constant level so thats a start. I think i'll still hunt down some braided hose though just in case...

Thanks again :D

Damo