JGilkes

Has anyone used this media???

Hi Jono,

This media only has an advantage over bio-balls if you can keep it rolling. The problem with a static media like bio-balls is the beneficial bacteria eventually die, leaving a dead layer which makes it hard for new bacteria to establish. Bio-balls are also harder to clean unless you can remove and rinse them frequently. All sumps will get a dead mulm layer at the bottom which is the dead bacteria. If you can keep this K1/K3 media rolling, it will self clean and new young bacteria will replace it. The young bacteria are much better workers.

If your not planning to keep the media rolling, the K1/K3 media is slightly easier to clean since it floats (you can fill the sump and mix it about) but there isnt much advantage this way and its quite expensive. Its a different concept. The kaldnes media recommends you use a submerged sump while the bio-balls recommends you use a wet/dry (drip) sump.

There are other media choices available as well.

Thanks very much Winston and 175myles :-) still being reasonably new to the hobby this is the first time I have come across this kind of filtration. I am only running 2,000L of lightly stocked tanks (for now) and that is running at 13,000lph through 20L of matrix, 15L of aqua clay and some miscellaneous media I had lying about. But from what I have read the k1 is more efficient at coping with a sudden increase in the bio load. Is this correct?

I think I will try and setup something similar to the sump AEF posted in the sump photo thread, using the 200L drum as a nexus (until I can aford one).

Thanks very much for the advice thus far. I would appreciate any advice people are willing to give on the topic.

Cheers

Jono

I found the k1 for $150/50L so it's not to expensive. Also it cleans it's self so I'm pretty much sold on it already :-)

Edited by JGilkes

I found the k1 for $150/50L so it's not to expensive. Also it cleans it's self so I'm pretty much sold on it already :-)

Yes self cleaning filters are good at sudden bio-loads and also faster at recovering from sudden bacteria die offs such as a power outage. However, you would get comparable results with plain ordinary sand (Fluidised bed). Same concept, self cleaning, new active bacteria populations but sand is negatively buoyant.

You would also get similar results with irregular shapped plastic beads which float. The type plastic injection moulders use as a raw product. Although it is buoyant, some people (me included) use it statically for mechanical /prefilter as its very easy to clean.

If $150 is cheap for you then happy days but 50 liters is not very large.

Lol I rarely have $150 to spend on fish :-( I just meant $150 is better than the $190-$200 at AOA.

I will get some raw plastic beads from my sister and play with that for a bit. Things I never would have thought of trying.

Thanks again Winston :-)