tim

Looking for some red coloured africans

Wondering if there any bright/blood/deep red africans out there? I've been told that there are a "blood dragon" peacocks out there but i am yet to see any!! I have seen (and love) the red tropheus species but i think that they'll be a little vicious to put in my community tank.

Anyone got any suggestions??

I've got Red Zebras (Metriaclima estherae . . . http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1730 )

I have them in a community and they aren't vicious at all. Pretty much stick to themselves and if you get some good quality ones they look fantastic being a bright orange all over. You might also see these advertised as "Pulu Points" which I think are the same fish or very similar.

Highly recommended! :wink:

redlands pet centre has the firefish peacock. gorgeous fish around 6-8cm ( approximate ) and mention to russ you are from the forum and he WILL look after you. but if you are after a peacefull fish for a community tank i would suggest red forest jewels as i have found some of the new/hybrid peacocks to get quite aggro to others species.

Hi buddy

I can get some Firefish Peacocks if your interested to view them do a google search for firefish and you will be very impressed

kri70575@bigpond.net.au

Is this one? - http://dartfordaquatics.co.uk/dbimages/firefish.bmp

Whoa! :o that's amazing! very nice indeed, although, i expect the one pictured or ones in the shops won't look that good unless they're on WC??? i find the majority of male peacocks only show their best colours when they're the only male surrounded by females, or if with other males......WC and this is the reason they're not so popular, anyone else agree?

Hi buddy

I can get some Firefish Peacocks if your interested to view them do a google search for firefish and you will be very impressed

kri70575@bigpond.net.au

Is this one? - http://dartfordaquatics.co.uk/dbimages/firefish.bmp

Whoa! :o that's amazing! very nice indeed, although, i expect the one pictured or ones in the shops won't look that good unless they're on WC??? i find the majority of male peacocks only show their best colours when they're the only male surrounded by females, or if with other males......WC and this is the reason they're not so popular, anyone else agree?

I agree with you on that, only way to get a fish that stunning is to feed white crane.. Pet city have some stunning looking peacocks also, they are a very bright orange which are a hybrid gassed up on white crane

I've kept various peacocks over the years, had some F1's & Wildcaughts, so some ridgy-didge quality. One thing with them was the only way to get brilliant colouration naturally was by keeping females in the tank (very drab looking), and you'd end up with one and one only dominant male that would get the awesome colours. Perhaps if you had a massive 8ft tank you might get two coloured males at each end.

So the end result was a few drab looking peacocks of brown/grey colour and one proud boy in full colours.

The other thing is if you want a few varieties of peacock with females, they will end up cross breeding.

I kept no females for fear of this, but even then I'd always end up with a few sub-dominant males that looked ordinary and dull.

Some people reckon you can keep different colonies of peacock if you select from different families, but I didn't want to risk it the cross breeding.

I found NLS helped bring out some colours but nothing like some of the photos I see.

So yeah, those Firefish sure look awesome, but I suspect the one in the photo is a show fish or maybe even fed hormone food. To get anything like that you'd need a few plain looking girls to go with him. Or you feed them White Crane and get them to colour unnaturally with hormones - which I don't like myself :( . And please, let's not go there regarding that crap.

You might get lucky, get just one male and he'll look a million dollars. Might.

And did I already mention? It normally takes 2-3 years and a size of +3" for the males to start colouring fully.

And because Peacocks are generally placid they seem to always get picked on and end up sub-dominant in a community anyway.

You can say the same for a lot of Africans.

However just from my experience I've found Mbuna (for example) to be more consistant with colouration in a community display, while peacocks were always a little bit more delicate and I generally only ever had one or two nice ones and the rest looking like poo.

Just my opinion but . . .

The firefish came in to the pet shop straight after being quaritined as i got the phone call to come have a look at them pretty much the day they arrived at the pet shop and as for the colour it was orsome have a few in a tnak and they just hit you with the brightness anyway yes i do go into the shop on a regular bassis as he does good prices and they haven't lost there colour so as for having to colour feed them on whitse crane no he doesn't and hasn't given them colour food so they do hold there colour good

I also bought some of the Firefish Peacocks from Redlands Pet Centre about 3 weeks ago and mine are still keeping their bright colour. I have been feeding mine Spectrum, Spirulina and Aqua One fish foods. Even Russ at Redlands PEt Centre was worried they might have been hormone feed but so far so good. He doesn't use White Crane in the shop, just a big combination of foods including Spectrum and they haven't lost there colour. If you want any you have to ask for Russ and tell him you are from the QLDAF and you will get them at a much lower price than displayed. Triston

Thumbs up to Redlands Pet Centre.

I went there today to get some firefish peacocks after following this discussion. They look simply stunning, yet they seem naturally coloured up. Well, only time will tell if they'll stay that colour.

Cheers

I got my firefish peacocks from Russ as soon as i got a phone call that they came in. They are still the most incredible colour and look great in my tank. They havent lost ANY colour at all and Im sure that one of the 4 that i got is a female. However i feed all my guys a good mix of foods such as Spirulina, Marine green and Aqua one pellets, Spectrum Thera A, Spectrum Cichlid, Tetra Color and Vege Wafers. (good advice from Redlands pets) And they still look incredible !!! :P

Christine