AKC

has my fish got worms

hi peoples,

how do you know when your fish have worms?

i got a fish in my display tank that has gone all skinny and looks mangy(sick looking) is this worms? or does any one know what it is.

cheers kel

Hi Kel, All wild-caught fish can be guaranteed to come with Nematodes and Flukes and healthy fish can generally live with them and not show any symptoms. It is when the fish becomes stressed (transported-bad water conditions- attacked) that it can become"Skinnys Disease" where the fish wastes away and eventually dies mainly due to secondary bacterial infection in the gut,gills and internal organs. At first the fish will feed normally but as time goes by will give up eating and die. Fish with it have a large head and wasted body - its like the head keeps growing and the body stops. It is not always possible to save fish that show such symptoms.

The best drugs to use are Levamisole Hcl and Flubendazole.

Praziquantel can also be used but I tend not to use it as some fish show adverse affects to it (tetras-loaches),

Levisol is a pig-wormer that can be purchased at most agriculture stores and some better LFS's and is dosed at a rate of 200mg/100 litres for 3 days then 50% waterchange and add carbon. Repeat this for 2 more weeks - remove carbon before dosing. This treament is best done in a tank with no substrate as daily vacs have to be done to remove the worms wich are not killed by Levamisole but are paralysed and passed in the fishes poo.

Levamisole has one good side affect as it restores the Immune System in fish . Doctors are using it on people who have undergone Chemo-therapy to treat Cancer.

Cheers Graeme.

thanks loachlover i think you might be spot on , description suits perfectly so ill give those medications a go in the future, i ended up throwing the sick looking fish down the toilet. thanks for your help

Call me a hypochondriac, but I noticed my male Electric Yellow last night passing a long, stringy, white poo.

Should I be worried? Other than noticing that, he looks a picture of health