h_tully

Adjusting pH - soda bicarb?

Hi,

In the tank that I've been trying to fishlessly cycle, I noticed that the pH has dropped to around 7.8 (probably due to prolonged Ammonium chloride application - maybe this is why the biofilter mysteriously crashed?).

I know that for freshwater, Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is commonly used to adjust pH: can I use this in a marine tank too, or will it stuff around with the composition of the ASW? If so, how do I bump the pH back up?

Cheers,

h_tully

When my salinity is up there at 1.03 meaning I definitely dont need more salt, my calcium if 450 so I don't need more of it, magnesium is 1500 so its cool then I only need top up water but my pure water is way down at ph 5 or something so I do add some bicarb to the top up water esp if my tank ph is dropping a bit down to 8.1. Just helps buffer that part up a bit and hopefully doesn't throw out any of the other readings except maybe to bring down that salinity a bit to 1.027 which would be a good thing.

Look at the cause of it. Why is PH down? I would look at switching AS I know red sea (when mixed correctly) gives you a perfect balance of all things important to reef tanks. Of it was me I would do a water change. It shouldn't increase anything else an this will slowly increase PH. If your still cycling then I wouldn't worry too much. Just bring it up slowly and go from there.