Chris G

What do people who are affected by the floods do to save or try to save their fish?

Hey just been thinking and what would you do?

I am on the gold coast and we aren't affected thank god just thinking of those people up north as i saw on the news a property with an ICB with the top cut out and made me think.

This is how tilapia got out. Not intentional- just a flooded backyard pond. Same goes for carp, goldfish, swords, mollies too I expect.

My three tier system has had the bottom tank evacuated... Just in case!

Sponge filters are a good way of keeping a bio load inside your tank during power cuts. Battery powered air pumps, UPS for small power filters... at you have to get out bag them up, shut your doors and get out, they'll float to the ceiling and then back down?!

Felix

I have 2 4ft tank and 2 2ft tanks that are almost vacant that have filters and cycled if anyone wants me to take anything?

And yer thats an awesome idea about the bags Felix

Yeah, keep your eyes open for any Red Chilli Aro's in bags... their mine :P

My fish have all dropped their fry, it's as if they know its time to get ready! My place is safe, but I'll be down the SES tomorrow I think.

Felix

well then the fish are the least of your worries haha well maybe you could tie it to ummmm i'm thinking haha cut 2 holes in ur carpet and tie it around that but ensure that the rope has enough length to reach the roof, perhaps thats a better choice then the ceiling fan or something that is really really heavy that won't move

Battery op'd air pumps, drop water level down as low as possible to increase oxygen, do w/change before leaving, make sure check valves everywhere they need to be, throw x 3 Prime in to deal with Amm in case of power outage & then get the hell out & pray like hell.

I am one of those people. In rosalie, right on the edge of a flood warning zone (milton, auchenflower) am lower then anything for 2 minutes in any direction, and less than 1 km from brissie river. and my neighbour told me that two years ago, it got chest deep downstairs, and in the '74 floods it reached the light switches (UPSTAIRS!!!). Downstairs i have a 4ft tank, a 2 tier 4ft system and an IBC... ALL SUMPED, so even if the water gets knee high, all my sumps are under. I have spent the day moving the fish into spare tanks upstairs on my deck. Luckily i keep sponge filters in all my tanks, even if they are sumped, so those tanks are running air right now. Only problem is, if the water level reaches the hights of '74, im gonna lose EVERYTHING!!!

Ive spent the day bagging everything expensive and filling all the highest shelves in our house. Grew up on the GC and have never had to deal with a flood so it should be interesting. Me and the housemate are gonna stay home and battle the storm, help out anyone in the street, although most have fled to higher ground.

Depending on the height of the water i may be bagging fish up at the last minute. although, if it gets that bad, my bed and most of our furniture will be ruined, so I will have more on my mind then my fish swimming the streets of Paddington.

There are people out there doing it far tougher then me, and my heart goes out to them.

Staunch athiest, so prayer isn't an option, but i do have faith in the Aussie spirit to get through anything, and help those around them. And faith in straight up human decency, it is these times of need that the best kind of people show their true colours.

Best wishes to everyone affected by the floods, and fingers crossed the water doesn't reach heights that could cover a car.

Battery op'd air pumps, drop water level down as low as possible to increase oxygen, do w/change before leaving, make sure check valves everywhere they need to be, throw x 3 Prime in to deal with Amm in case of power outage & then get the hell out & pray like hell.

thank you for that. I am on the Gold Coast and have been wondering about this myself. Tonight I went and brought a battery air pump after work. I am sure we will be OK here, but I wondered what to do if the power gets cut. Also supposing there was a flood, I guess the power gets turned off? As all the equipment is mainly floor level (canister & UVS) - I assume you just unplug them and hope the fish survive until it can all be reconnected? Or just leave them on and hope your house does not get flooded??????

Where I am I'm not at risk with flooding but am worried bout the power going out. Can anyone recommend where I can get a little generator from (bunnings etc)? I'd be sick if the power went out for a decent amount of time..