ronny

Friendly reminder if doing a water change

With the current influx of water into our dams it is standard practise for treatment plants to increase the levels of chlorine into our water supply. Went to fill a bucket with tap water tonight and smelt like a pool as it was coming out.

So I would just like to put a reminder out to all that plan on doing a water.change from the tap to double, triple or quadruple their dose of dechlorinator. Its only a small cost to play it safe, I dont want to see posts about ammonia spikes etc all because you forgot about this known fact.

Hope this helps some lives of fishes

Ron

Only just remembered this yesterday, doing PWC's on my goldies' tanks. They aren't happy with me right now, but managed to get the extra Prime in before too long. Just having to keep an eye on them now.

Thanks for the reminder ronny

Ron, I was listening to the Lord Mayor, I think it was, talking about how our water would only be guaranteed as safe for drinking for 2-3 days & then they were saying we needed to put 4 parts bleach to 96 parts water, yes, for drinking water, 'tis perfectly safe.

However, I will also be wanting to make fish water 100% safe, and I know they probably don't catch any of our diseases, but I'm not taking any risks. Therefore, water will be bleached 4:96 & then x 5 Prime which is the upper safe limit.

I had to do a water change last night on my yellow/frontosa tank as i havent been game to do a change in over a week & lost 2 yellows and 4 fronnies :( so i also dosed up with 5X prime as Di suggested seemed ok this morning not game to do my planted tanks though ive got enough algae bloom as it is after the lights were off for nearly 4 days... (my house in in the flood area)

Guest Kamfa

dont know if this matters, but since my last W/C my tank has broken out in white spot so i added my declorinator and amo lock, and some ich treatment, i hope there gonna be okay, they are covered!

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing 100% or 90% pure rain water, water changes for quite a while. When's the next lot due?

been using 100% rainwater for some time now, fishys couldnt be happier

In my previous place, I had a tall bookcase near my 2 * 4' tanks and put a 50L tub up on top of the bookcase with a hose running down and into whichever tank I was water changing. I'd remove some of the water from one tank to below the "safe mark", water the garden with it, then open the valve on the refill tank and have it top up the tank. If I needed to, I'd just add extra with a plastic 8L watering can I have. Then I'd refill the upper tub from the hose, add water treatment to it, and leave it sit for another fortnight until I cleaned the other tank.

It worked well - a tank water change once a month (or thereabouts) with treated, stabilized water that was pretty easy to do and also resulted in excellent garden plants! :)

Unfortunately, where I am now precludes me from doing this, but I'm again looking at a way to handle this. I just bought a CO2 system that I want to use in all 3 tanks I now have, especially in the one that's been hit hard with Black Beard Algae - I've again removed lighting, done serious water changes, and this time I have a pair of SAE in there - so with all this and and some CO2 injection, I hope I can get it to the point of being under control.

Anyone concerned about water quality dump a dual or triple carbon filter on your tap. Flush the filters first, you'll get a massive amount of loose carbon coming through first up. will be black but after that you will have reasonable quality water. I can remember someone somewhere was selling bunnings setups that hooked up to the garden tap and they didnt use chemicals at all. It will reduce the amount of chemicals in the water but remember to change the filters on a regular basis. If they get too old I think they dump all the bad stuff in.

Also those using rain water you may not have many chemicals but you have everything that has been on your roof for the last 20 years in the tank now. Bird poo, concrete from tiles, corrosion/galvanising stuff from iron, dust, smog, everything. Quite often when I take a reading rain water is pretty poor. Some sort of filter would be good.

Edited by bj

You're better off getting some plastic drums or buckets, depending on the size of your tank, and letting the water stand with an aerator for a couple of days or more. Then pump or bucket it into your tank slowly.

Theo

that would be to get rid of the hose in the sun smell no doubt. i know the taste of that. some locations might be so far from the chemical injection point that there is hardly any chlorine. the council has a battle getting it right to kill bugs and also not taste to overbearing at peoples houses. sometimes you even notice it when having a shower its so strong.

also i heard that they overdose the stuff when they dig up pipes and disturb the linings. so you can never be too careful. i would always go with the storage tub if yas can.